Grading Back Blade question

/ Back Blade question #1  

HEC

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 @ B2650HSDC
I have a back blade and I have never used one before.The three point hitch I take it was designed to pull is there any issues with pushing on the three point hitch that one should be aware of as I had planned on using it for both forward for some applications and in reverse for others.
Thanks,
Herb

/ Back Blade question #2  
Almost all blades are reversable - Pull or Push. No problem with the hitch, but what about your neck? All that twisting a craning.

/ Back Blade question #3  
If you're pushing when driving in reverse, yes, you can damage your 3PH. I've never bent/broke anything with a regular scraper blade (since it's the weakest point and something on it will normally bend first) but have bent things on my tractor's 3PH using a box blade.

Not sure what kind/size of blade you have but your M5700 3PH components are "probably" stronger than the blade so you'll "probably" be OK.

/ Back Blade question #4  
I have never personally bent anything going backward, but in the past there has been several members on TBN that have. They have broken or bent everything from the sway links to the lower lift arms. Some of the lift arms are over $200 each to replace.

/ Back Blade question #5  
If you've ever used a wood winch you'd realize that 3ph's are made to push. Can't speak for anything less than Cat II. Perhaps small tractors are more likely to break?

/ Back Blade question
Thanks for all the input,I do have cat 1 and 2 , 3PT hitch but I will use caution when pushing in reverse anyway.It looks as though the sway bar device would be the weakest link on the 3 pt hitch itself,and I have never used a wood winch.
Thanks again

/ Back Blade question #7  
A 3PH is designed to pull things. The top link in that mode of operation is pushing against the tractor and the pulling is done by the lower arms. When you start pushing with the rear blade the forces are reversed, the lower arms are pushing and the top link is pulling on it's mount.

What many including myself have done is install the heavy duty top link bracket that is used when a back hoe attachment is used on your tractor. That bracket will help protect the top link mount when using the blade to push with.

Use your head and go a little slower and there should not be a problem.

Randy

/ Back Blade question
Thanks Randy that all makes sense now, I am not sure if they sell a heavy duty top link bracket for the m5700 but I will check.
Herb

/ Back Blade question #9  
I use my boxblade backwards all the time. I pull forward loading it up with roots and things until it packs up against the tires and then lift the box, full forward, drop the box, and push the pile of root pile out of the project. I also use it as a small dozer to push material into holes that I don't feel good about driving through due to depth. Don't know what I would do without being able to back it up and I imagine that that is why there is a blade on both sides.

/ Back Blade question #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A 3PH is designed to pull things. The top link in that mode of operation is pushing against the tractor and the pulling is done by the lower arms. When you start pushing with the rear blade the forces are reversed, the lower arms are pushing and the top link is pulling on it's mount.

What many including myself have done is install the heavy duty top link bracket that is used when a back hoe attachment is used on your tractor. That bracket will help protect the top link mount when using the blade to push with.

Use your head and go a little slower and there should not be a problem.

Randy )</font>

Intresting concept, but not exactly fact.

A top link mount is designed to be "pulled on" when lifting anything with the 3-point hitch. It would/could be in compression when using most equipment, but when LIFTING that equipment, forces are reversed.

On some smaller tractors, the components are built with marginal strenght (to save weight?) .