Baby Plate at a restaurant ??

/ Baby Plate at a restaurant ?? #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Daughter and family love eating at a place in Paducah Kentucky called the Freight House. We have heard so much about it that my wife and I are going some time in the next couple weeks. The owner/chef was a contestant on the TV program 'Top Chef' and ofter brings plates out to customers.

Here are my daughters texts about the "Baby Plate".

"Freight house has a baby plate you can order. She HOUSED it. Lima bean hummus, peas, mushrooms, beets, carrots, hard boiled eggs, etc.
The chef Sara that was on top chef brought it to her and said they love when babies come. Ro immediately dug in and made a mess and I said I’m so sorry we’ll clean it up and she said are you kidding we all love this. Our fave dish to make!"

Anyway, I thought those of you who have young children or grands or great grands would get a kick out of this. And yes, she just about cleaned the plate!

IMG_1189.jpeg

/ Baby Plate at a restaurant ?? #2  
Chef is lucky. Little kids often haven't been exposed to some of those foods and may discover they are allergic the hard way.

/ Baby Plate at a restaurant ?? #3  
I'm not sure any of those are particularly allergens. At first I thought it was some kind of a nut on the plate and was wondering about it, but the peas and beans sound a lot better.

It also appears to be gluten free, although Celiac Sprue is usually diagnosed much older.

I've never really thought what kids eat at restaurants. Perhaps potatoes, veggies, and whatever is on their parent's plates.

/ Baby Plate at a restaurant ??
At their pediatrician's advice they started her a few months ago with a tiny bit of peanut butter and have gradually increased the amount. Other things have been added in the same way. Doctor said this would build up a resistance and keep her from becoming allergic. So far she has ate everything put in front of her but her all time favorite is a chicken drumstick bone. If you have one that is teething just get all the gristle, etc. off a drumstick and give it to them. They may gag themselves a few times but they can get it in the back on their gums and once they start chewing on one it is hard to get it away.

RSKY

/ Baby Plate at a restaurant ?? #5  
I'm not sure any of those are particularly allergens. At first I thought it was some kind of a nut on the plate and was wondering about it, but the peas and beans sound a lot better.

It also appears to be gluten free, although Celiac Sprue is usually diagnosed much older.

I've never really thought what kids eat at restaurants. Perhaps potatoes, veggies, and whatever is on their parent's plates.
Mushrooms are one of those things likely to cause allergies. When my kids were little, the docs said to limit variety in a given meal so if they do have a reaction, it is easier to figure out what caused it.

/ Baby Plate at a restaurant ?? #6  
My older daughter developed a wheat allergy when little. Any idea how hard it is to prepare meals with NO wheat? Fortunately it only lasted about 6 months and then went away forever.

/ Baby Plate at a restaurant ?? #7  
What a heartwarming story! It's so wonderful to hear about family-friendly restaurants like the Freight House in Paducah, Kentucky. Speaking of family-friendly places, I recently stumbled upon this cozy pizza & kitchen place called www.therevolution.ie. While it might not have a baby plate, it sounds like the perfect spot for a relaxed meal with loved ones. Thanks for sharing this delightful experience!

Last edited:
   / Baby Plate at a restaurant ??
Three months later and we've just returned from Dauphin Island Alabama. The little toot has a new favorite food, grouper! First taste was the first night there and she ate half of her mother's order. Couldn't stuff it in her mouth quick enough. Also developed a taste for mahi-mahi but grouper seemed to be her favorite. Older ones, 10 and 7, pigged out on crab legs a couple times. But the little one seemed to prefer white fleshed fish over anything else.

RSKY

/ Baby Plate at a restaurant ?? #9  
I'm Norwegian. My father loved to fish...so from a very young age it was trout quite often.

I can vividly remember the first time my mother fixed a famous Norwegian dish. Lutefisk I was seven year old. It's the ONLY time I can ever remember crying at the dinner table.

Those who have been exposed to this Norg delicacy know of what I speak.

Strange - I have learned to truly like this dish. Along with spring spuds, peas and cream gravy.

/ Baby Plate at a restaurant ?? #10  
Chef is lucky. Little kids often haven't been exposed to some of those foods and may discover they are allergic the hard way.

Oh Puhleeze. We are making soft kids.

I remember my mother serving dinner and we ate everything. Being "allergic" to anything never crossed our minds. We were lucky to have food.

My 9 kids were raised the same. My wife cooked a variety of foods seasoned to perfection and my kids ate fine. We didn't cook certain foods they didn't like. Plenty of variety of vegetables and fruits and meats they did like.