B7800 tractor with FEL (2003 yr)

/ B7800 tractor with FEL (2003 yr) #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
there is a classified ad nearby, and the offer is a 2003 model yr B7800 (first year of model) with LA402 FEL, 30 hp, hydrostatic trans (HST), 4WD, diesel, loaded rear agri tires, 3 pt hitch, PTO, walk thru deck, clean condition, low hours, and if the photo is accurate / current - appears almost new. Kubota made this model between 2003 - 2008.

I have been looking for the B3030 with the same kinds of specs, and now I see this. The asking price is $13.700 Cdn, and that appears to be in the ballpark - (I thought maybe offering $11-12,000, because at this time it is still a bit of a financial stretch for me) but I have never bought a tractor before, so what do I know ? If this was after my tax refund was in, I think I would have a serious look at it. Me thinks that it will probably be sold in the coming week though.:confused3:

I have asked if it can take a backhoe attachment, mower deck, posthole pounder ... and am awaiting a reply.

Thoughts, opinions, experiences ??? all appreciated. :reading:

-how does the 2003 model measure up to later years?
-how comparible is it to the B3030 that I have had my eye on ? (with backhoe and FEL, that one is about $28,000 Cdn out here) - the features look similar enough for me to consider the older B7800
-the real benefit is the price seems reasonable for a 10 yr old tractor (?) - would be a serious consideration a month from now for sure, but
-the benefit of waiting for the B3030 is that there is a warranty, I can get a package deal, and I can get / will need a loan (that's ok)
-has the HST improved significantly in the past 10 yrs ?
- ease of use ? (I have cerebral palsy - therefore have only been looking at tractors with HST and walk through decks)

... I need a :coffee:

cheers, CK

/ B7800 tractor with FEL (2003 yr) #2  
I have a 2007 B7800. The B7800 and B3030 are almost identical in size and horsepower. I think the major difference (and one to be considered) is that the B7800 has a 1/4 inching rear lift and the B3030 has a position control rear lift. I have the 1/4 inching rear lift. Its not a deal breaker for me but I would prefer the position control over the 1/4 inching. Both are capable tractors. I doubt you could go wrong with either.

/ B7800 tractor with FEL (2003 yr)
now I'm lost, that is a new concept that I had no knowledge of. thanks for the details whistlepig.

/ B7800 tractor with FEL (2003 yr) #4  
Another difference is the B3030 has hydraulic engagement for PTO. B7800 has clutch engagement for PTO. B3030 has a little more overall height. Both use the same model engine. B3030 has a few creature comforts over B7800. One of the biggest is pin adjustable 3pt and extendable lower links. The chains on B7800 are a pain. They can be upgraded. Both models have a BH available.

/ B7800 tractor with FEL (2003 yr) #5  
We have a B 7800 with a backhoe, BH75, and loader. It has a mid pto so can take a mower deck, or front mounted snow blower. So far, it has, (450 hours) and has been great. Backhoe with mechanical thumb has been very useful for land shaping, (terracing, etc), stump removal, etc. It has a very smooth four cylinder engine that is very accessible, and easy to start in our winters.

The early ones need a better seat about $100 to $150, so that you sit securely as you use the hydro food pedal. The five safety switches, (seat, clutch, gear selector, pto and hydro foot pedal position) have been problematic, but are easy to fix, (jumper wire to get you going and replace).

Compare your choices for rear hydraulics, very useful and about $800 US to add.

We added wheel spacers, two inch per side, from New Brunswick, for more stability on hillsides. If you have the Kubota loader frame mounted, you need these if you plan to use chains on the rear wheels.

We have no experience with the 3 point hitch control, but those who use implements seem to really like the position control, not on this tractor.

Hopefully useful

/ B7800 tractor with FEL (2003 yr) #6  
Here is a quick and dirty definition of 1/4 inching and position control on the 3pt. With position control you raise the hitch and then return it to a repeatable position. Let's say you are mowing, and need to raise the mower and then return it to the same height or "position" that you had it in before. Just raise the lever and put it back to the same location it was before (you can set a mechanical stop also) and the hitch will go to the same height or position. Also all 3pt hitches will drop over time but the position control hitch has a feedback mechanism that will return the 3pt to the fixed chosen position automatically without operator intervention. So bottom line is where ever you set it to go is where it goes and where it stays. Now the 1/4 inching valve is a manually controlled valve that goes up in approximately 1/4 inch jumps as you push the control forward against a detent notch. This allows you to "bump up" the hitch in small increments to get to the height you want it to be. You can also bypass the detents to raise the hitch all at once to full height. You are the "feedback mechanism" to bump up the hitch when it drops over time while operating. It is not as much trouble as you might think, but it is not as desirable as a good working position control. The 1/4 inching requires a little more operator thought and intervention, but it is not a big deal after you use it for a while. At least it wasn't for me. The telescoping lower links and stabilizers are really worth having. They make hookups much easier.. You can also use one of the aftermarket 3pt quick hitches to speed up the hooking up process. I used the Carter's for a while and they work well. Many use the Pat's or one of the 1 piece quick hitches. Good luck with your tractor buying journey.

James K0UA

/ B7800 tractor with FEL (2003 yr)
with the further info (thanks all), I think that the B3030 is a better match for my needs, and it means no loan right now, delayed gratification ... that's the worst part.

/ B7800 tractor with FEL (2003 yr) #8  
I am not sure what Ronjhall mentioned registered in your mind, but personally I would never buy a B3030 because of the hydraulic operated PTO. At least not if I were going to use a post hole digger!

My BX2200 has the hydraulic operated PTO. So I do have a comparison. My B2910, essentially a B7800 with deluxe features, has the clutch operated PTO, which is SO MUCH better! Much better control of the PTO when engaging. I really dislike engaging the PTO on my BX, no real feathering of it, it just bangs in hard, even when I try to move the lever slowly. Not a big deal as I only use the BX as a mower 99 percent of the time.

Again, having experience with both, I would never buy a B3030...made my mind up about that when they first came out...probably because I was digging a lot of post holes at the time...:)

/ B7800 tractor with FEL (2003 yr) #9  
The only time that the 1/4 inching valve is a minor aggravation for me is when using the rotary cutter. If I raise the rotary cutter then lower it again it will not automatically return to the same position (cutting height). I have to fiddle with the three point lift lever a bit to get the cutting height the same as it was before I raised it. With position control a stop can be set and when the rotary cutter is raised and lowered it will always lower to the same cutting height. It is a minor annoyance. For my RFM and PHD the 1/4 inching valve is not an issue.

/ B7800 tractor with FEL (2003 yr) #10  
The only time that the 1/4 inching valve is a minor aggravation for me is when using the rotary cutter. If I raise the rotary cutter then lower it again it will not automatically return to the same position (cutting height). I have to fiddle with the three point lift lever a bit to get the cutting height the same as it was before I raised it. With position control a stop can be set and when the rotary cutter is raised and lowered it will always lower to the same cutting height. It is a minor annoyance. For my RFM and PHD the 1/4 inching valve is not an issue.

What I did with my rotary cutter when I had the 1/4 inching on my old B7500 was to put gauge wheels on the rotary cutter that was about the average height I wanted to cut. I wore out some cheap solid rubber wheels I bought at TSC. and wound up with some cast steel one, and they have held up. I don't need them now, but I have never taken them off. Another thing you can do, is put "height limiting chains" that are adjustable from the top link hole to each lower link hole. Once you get them adjusted you will return to the same height each time you lower the 3pt.

James K0UA