B7500 on slopes

/ B7500 on slopes #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have two acres with slopes of 15 to 25 degrees. I am going to look at a B7500 and NH Boomer with 60 inch rear mower. Do the manufacturers publish a figure for maximum angle of operation?

/ B7500 on slopes #2  
Mike, I'd recommend you do a search on "tiltmeters" and you'll find a great deal of information on this topic. Many of us have bought tiltmeters from Rick at R&B Mfg. and he has a great deal of experience that he's shared with us.

As far as I know, none of the tractor manufacturers publish a figure for maximum angle of operation, although I believe Rick said there is a standard requiring 20 degrees. The big problem is that if you are operating at 20 degrees, the slightest soft spot on the low side, or hump, rock, stump, stick, etc. on the high side will change it so fast that you may go over before you know what happened. 18 degrees is the most I've tried, and 15 degrees scares the dickens out of me. Of course, I'm talking about side to side slope, and think straight up or down 15 to 25 would not be a major worry if you can get enough traction. However, I only recently added a tiltmeter for front to rear and haven't really been on steep enough slopes to give a good answer yet.

Bird

/ B7500 on slopes
The most I've been on my garden tractor is about 15 degrees and it's scary. It loses traction by spinning the upper wheel and the front end wants to slide down. A guy I work with stopped over yesterday and said my steepest spot would be no trouble with a utility tractor...I'm not so sure.

/ B7500 on slopes #4  
Mike I operate a B7500 on land similiar to yours with no problem. The key as mentioned by Bird is the condition of the land, rocks, low spots ect...operating up and down on this type of grade is no problem. If you deceide on the B7500 have the dealer mount your rear wheels to maximum width.... the key is take it slow and be alert and be sure to install tiltmeters..... I have about 125 hours on my B7500 and it preforms like a champ....Wally

/ B7500 on slopes #5  
Mike,
I don't believe a manufacturers would want to print out in any form operations of maximum angle,for they could be facing a court action if a operator was hurt.

I look at my rear mount mower manual,and they printed a couple of things you maybe interested.
1.Mow up and down slopes not across,and avoid operation on steep slopes.
2.Assure at least 25% of the gross vehicle weight is carried by the tractor front axle when the mower is raised for transporting.
There is a formula to figure this out if your interested.

Bird has great advice, /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif and most tractor dealers have pamphlet on tractor safety which could help.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ B7500 on slopes #6  
Mike - your 7500 should behave like my 1700, which is last years equivalent model. I have ag tires, mounted as wide as possible, with the rims concave side facing out (stem side out). I also have a tiltmeter, and wouldn't ride slopes without one. I think my tractor would do fine at 20 degrees side slope, but I worry abouut a sudden increase like Bird mentioned, so I set my personal limit at 15 degrees. Any steeper than that and I either abandon the task, or go at it up and down not sideways.

/ B7500 on slopes
I also just test drove a BX2200 and this lower unit may be just what I need.

/ B7500 on slopes #8  
Mike,
I believe you found the key here.
You got to feel comfortable no matter what tractor you may purchase. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ B7500 on slopes
Thomas,
I'd be interested in that formula for calulating the weight on the fron axle. thanks.

/ B7500 on slopes #10  
Mike,
Here is the formula for a rear mount mower.
%of wt.on front axle =
Measure front axle weight and measure gross vehicle weight x100

According to my dealer specs if the rear mower weights 275lbs,one needs to add a minimum of 55lbs to the front end for balance....under most mowing conditions.

Hope this help Mike.