B7100D clutch replacement and adjustment

/ B7100D clutch replacement and adjustment #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
Helping the neighbor replace the clutch plate, pressure plate and throwout bearing on his B7100D (manual trans)

The old friction plate went to pieces. The pins that hold the spring center to the friction plate failed. Mangled metal all over the bell housing.
The repalcement parts were purchased from the local Kubota dealer.

Now with the tractor back together with only a few bolts holding engine to bell housing, the lost motion in the clutch throw out mechanism is so great that regardless of how the external linkage is adjusted the maximum clutch pressure release is "just barely". NOT GOOD!

Is it normal to need to set the lever heights on "new from Kubota" pressure plates? It's the only thing I can think of that would make things right.

A 3 mm thicker throwout bearing would do the job as well. Is there such a thing? The present unit is an NTN 24TK308. as was the item removed. There is certainly no room to "shim out" the TOB on the sleeve. Not and retain any secure mounting anyways.

I don't know how the clutch action "felt" prior to the failed friction plate center, but this is just not right.

I've had the fork and shaft out, and pulled thge TOB sleeve. It all looks OK, just that the action comes in too late in the travel. Contact with the pressure plate does not take place until the fork is just passed the center of it's throw.

The service information indicates that the lever height should be 1.764-1.819 inches, and references a special service tool to check.
The tractor has had the clutch replaced previously if mis matched fasteners at the bell housing are evidence. Could be that something is amiss, but as mentioned, Dealer parts by application.

I'll check lever height with indicators or calipers when I split the tractor again. I would like to be armed with all the pertenant information, so if you have any suggestions and observations, I'm all ears.

http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoInde...s/&file=B5100_B7100__service_manual_part2.pdf
[reference]

TIA

Cal