B7100 - It's there this time

/ B7100 - It's there this time
Re: B7100 - It\'s there this time

Scruffy, I never even thought about aircraft landing lights. Where would I find such things? The lights on the tractor now can be easily removed.....I'm open to options. Any idea on the amps those lights would draw? I'd like to have extra gazillions of lumens out front for working at night.

WVBill, yep, that's good old fashioned T-11 siding. I built the building in November of '93 and stained it the first time in the spring of '94 with Olympic oil based solid color stain. In my humble opinion, it didn't hold up as well as I though it should and I stained it again in the spring of '98 with Behr solid color stain. The trim is also done in Behr solid color stain. So far, the Behr seems to be holding up better than the Olympic did after two years.

I sprayed the Olympic on when I did it originally, two coats. I used a heavy nap roller the second time and a 4" brush for the grooves, only one coat. Maybe there was a difference in quality of application based on the method used.

Bob Pence

/ B7100 - It's there this time #12  

BobP, NAPA should stock them. (or most good autoparts for that matter). It seems as if that is where the P.D. used to get them from. Maybe Bird would remember what his department used also.

/ B7100 - It's there this time #13  

Sorry, Scruffy, but we didn't use the aircraft landing lights; just regular spotlights.

Bird

/ B7100 - It's there this time #14  

Hey Scruffy,
Those off-road/aircraft lamps would be cool! But...
Most of the readily available off-road/aircraft lights, like the classic KC "Daylighter", are 100 or 150 watts per bulb. That works out to what, about 8 or 12.5 Amp pull, per light?

That's a lot more than our Kubota's like to supply

I have thought for a long time that it wouldn't be hard to slip the 1-wire alternator off a Chevy or Toyota under the hood for some real "power". I know every year the folks who plow snow in the early/late hours complain how pitiful the lights are on most of these small tractors.

Or... Put a Premier alternator/welder setup under the hood; 150-200 amp cabable... Yeehaw! You could stick weld, run lights, or a blender, drill, sawzall, ect... $1200 though for that setup!
http://premierpowerwelder.com/

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ B7100 - It's there this time #15  

RobertN, Your thought on the Chevy or Toyota altenator has been bouncing around in my head for some time also. It should work just fine! I have been waiting for someone to try it. I will, but only when and if the stock altenator takes a dump, or I have a need for more 'juice', until then, it would be a waste of money, and my wife has THAT department pretty well tied up!

/ B7100 - It's there this time

Scruffy, just for clarification, the little Kubota's run a dynamo, not an alternator. It took someone on this board a year or so ago to explain that in some depth before I understood how they worked, and trust me I couldn't explain it if I had to. I've heard that some people have actually installed alternators on little B series tractors, but I've never seen one of the setups. You might want to search the archives and see what could be found on this. If memory serves me (now that's funny) they talked about using a one-wire Toyota alternator from the late 70's or early 80's.

Bob Pence