B7100 Changing Hydraulic Fluid

/ B7100 Changing Hydraulic Fluid #1  

bpence

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100 HST - 1995
A question for all the other hydrostatic trans users out there. I changed the hydraulic fluid and filter again on my 95 B7100 yesterday and had an interesting thing happen when I was done and went to move the tractor. It seems that the hydro pedal would barely move in reverse. Really hard to push down and move at all. I put the Hi-Lo range lever in neutral, move the hydro pedal fore and aft several times, and all was well when I put the Hi-Lo lever back into gear. This is the third time I've changed fluid on this little guy and this has happened each time. After all of that, here's the question. Is that normal and has anyone else encountered that event?

I think it probably has to due with an airlock in the lines that has to be cleared, but I'm just looking for someone else's experiences in changing the fluid and filter.

Bob Pence

/ B7100 Changing Hydraulic Fluid #2  
Bob,
I to have 95 B7100HST and yet had any problems after changing hydraulic filter or fluid.
The way I change the hydraulic filter & filter,first I put the tractor in neutral than chalk the wheels.
drain the fluild than remove the filter.
Than I install the new filter than add the fluid slowly and keep checking the level.
Than I start the tractor and let idle than recheck the level of fluid,once again restart the tractor and let it idle for about 4 to 5 mins than put into gear and take a spin./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
Bob,
Do you have a front end loader on your B7100?
Maybe by raising it couple of times and rolling the bucket that might help to push the fluid thru the system....worth a try. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thanks for the information about your B7100,and I hope your able to get some tractor time in this weekend.

Have a pleasant weekend and stay /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ B7100 Changing Hydraulic Fluid #3  
Bob, I've never encountered that problem, but I'm curious about how long you let it run before trying to move it after changing the oil. I know my manual says "Do not operate the tractor immediately after changing the transmission fluid. Run the engine at medium speed for a few minutes to prevent damage to the transmission." I do it like Thomas myself.

Bird

/ B7100 Changing Hydraulic Fluid #4  
Bob, I received the following e-mail message. Since I recall having a minor problem with the cam on the cruise on my B7100, could this have something to do with your problem?

<font color=orange>I have taken your email route with my answer to the above post about "B7100 Changing Hydraulic Fluid" of Sept 16 because B.Pence does not have an address posted on his profile. I also have difficulty posting to the board - my kids re-configure my internet connection continuously and I am tired of resetting things. The only thing they don't touch is the tractor. As well, my wife manages our landscape company here in Saskatoon, Canada and we use a B7100 with all attachments and am familiar with its quirks and as you owned one previously, I present my explanation:

When I push my cruise control lever to the extreme down position, the cam under the hyd. filter cover goes past where it should and interferes with reverse hydro pedal movement. When I move the pedal to the forward position, the linkage rights itself and reverse movement is restored.
Since B.Pence had his cover off to change filter, maybe his problem is as simple as this.

I realize I should adjust the cruise control linkage to prevent this from occurring but my cam faces are ground so poorly there is so little contact (and friction) that my cruise does not hold position. Perhaps some winter I can remove them and have the faces machined flat.

If this explanation seems reasonable to you, could you post it the board and we will see what other comments may follow.</font color=orange>

Bird

/ B7100 Changing Hydraulic Fluid
Thomas and Bird - thanks for the insights. I basically follow the same steps you do Thomas in changing the hydraulic fluid. I let the tractor run at low/medium idle about 10 minutes after changing the fluid, then generally drive around for about 5 or 10 minutes (my wife thinks this is so I can go visit a neighbor or two, not related in any way to tractor maintenance).

I removed the hydraulic filter cover and took a look at the cruise control linkage/cam configuration to see if this may have had anything to do with my concern. I moved the cruise lever to it's lowest point, but didn't see how this could affect the hydro pedal. I started the tractor and moved it forward and back (and then drove over to a neighbor's place and back, in the name of maintenance of course), and all seemed OK.

Maybe it's one of those strange little things with this particular tractor that I'll just have to live with. Doesn't seem to be a big deal, I was just curious if other owners had experienced the same.

Bob Pence