B6100?

/ B6100? #1  

Frosty

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK35 HST; Kubota KX040
Anyone know about the B6100? I'm looking at the ad below for $4900. Is this a Grey Mkt or a unit suitable for use on a small acreage (10A)? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

"Kubota B6100
4x4 Diesel Tractor with loader, 3 point and rear blade."

/ B6100? #2  
Frosty, you might try this link to Kubota's web site. The B6100s I think were made from the late 70s to the early 80s and were nice little tractors, but what letter(s) does it have after the "B6100?? That will tell you whether it's 2WD or 4WD, geared or hydrostatic transmission. And what implments or attachments are included, and what kind of tractor work will you be doing? In other words, we'd need more information to give a valid answer as to whether or not it's suitable for your purposes. It's not a gray market tractor, and while I prefer a little larger one, it may be quite adequate for you. I used a B7100 for a few years on my 10 acres.

/ B6100? #3  
You may want to check to see if it has power steering and if not, test drive it with a loaded bucket of material before you commit to anything. FELs and power steering aren't a "must have" combination, but it is a lot nicer on your arms if you are going to do much with the loader.
We have a B7100HSD here at the company for mowing. It is a tough little machine because it gets treated a little rough and keeps on going.

Jeff

/ B6100? #4  
The 6100 does not have power steering, and is almost guaranteed to have the 6/2 manual tranny. Tough little bugger as previously mentioned. That price is fine with a loader assuming the whole rig is in good condition. Pay special attention to the front assbly to look for signs of overloading the front end - these are small tractors and trying to pry up on a big tree trunk/rock etc can transmit a mighty force to the front axle etc.

Also keep in mind this is a narrow tractor, and stability with bucket loaded will be touchy. I had a (smaller) B6000 and got tons of work done with it, never a breakdown. Go for it if it meets your needs.

BTW, this tractor will spin a 4' brush mower, max.

/ B6100? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyone know about the B6100? )</font>

There is a guy that frequents this site named WVBill. He has a 4x4 Kubota gear-drive tractor with Kubota FEL that I'm pretty sure is a B6100. I'd have to look up his profile to be sure of the model number.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm looking at the ad below for $4900. )</font>
My opinion is that price seems a tad high, unless it is in excellent shape. I've seen gear drive B7100s (16hp) with FELs in the $4000-$5000 range and hydrostat models in the $5000-$8000 range.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is this a Grey Mkt? )</font>

I'm pretty sure that all B6100's were made to US specifications (ie, they're not Grey market tractors). The reason for my lack of certainty is that I have heard that one model Kubota (B6000?) had both US and grey market models. I don't know if there are other "dual status" model numbers.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is this a unit suitable for use on a small acreage (10A)? )</font>

I think that the tractor can do most anything that you'd want to do on 10 acres (mowing & moving loose materlal with the FEL), but may take a long time to do it, so it boils down to "how much time do you have?". My guess is that it won't be long before you'll be wanting a larger tractor. With regard to 3-point equipment, I think that the B6100 will handle a 48" finish mower and a 42" rotary mower.

OTHER NOTES:
Power Steering: The tractor does not have power steering, which can make FEL usage painful. Even driving around and hitting bumps with an empty FEL can transmit energy back through the steering wheel with enough force to cause slight injuries to thumbs and fingers (I experienced this with a B8200 w/o PS).

Live PTO: I am assuming that the tractor is a gear drive (I have never heard of a hydrostatic B6100, but that doesn't mean they don't exist). This means that the tractor does not have a live PTO, which means that you'll have to use the clutch to stop & restart the tractor and PTO driven equipment every time you need to change gears. This type usage could wear a clutch out fairly quickly. If you are mowing an open field with no obstacles, then this is not nearly as much of a problem as mowing a field (yard) with obstacles that require different mowing speeds and/or changing direction frequently.

There are other comments that I could make (parts availability, the thermo-siphon cooling system, etc). If you think that you are going to pursue this tractor further let us know; there are plenty of people on this board that can ensure that you make a reasonably educated decision.

Kelvin

/ B6100? #6  
I believe Harv posted an exerpt from the new Kubota website showing a list of all the tractors and giving details.

Egon

/ B6100? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I believe Harv posted an exerpt from the new Kubota website showing a list of all the tractors and giving details. )</font>

I don't believe that I've seen that post. However, using the link that Bird provided, I did notice that the B6100 was offered with a hydrostat model.

Kelvin