B6100 mowers

/ B6100 mowers #1  

Anonymous Poster

i have a recently purchased 1985 B6100, with a belly-mower, a "flail" mower and a roto-tiller. i can't find the model number on the belly mower, and it wasn't mounted on the tractor when i bought it; does the belly mower mow well enough to go thru the trouble of mounting it to the tractor. According to the
seller, he bought the tractor and equipment new, at the same time, and gave @ $14000. the tractor has 2300 hours on it and runs fine, but seems to be harder to start than it should; it has been in storage for 2 years; will this size tractor handle a front end loader?? i have ordered the manuals for the tractor, but it takes 3 weeks to get them in; all info appreciated;
rick

/ B6100 mowers #2  
Rick:

I just got a 1978 B6100D (4WD, gear) from my Father-in-law and it has a Kubota FEL on it that works great so I'd guess that your '85 B6100 will handle one too. I doubt, though that you will be able to mount both the belly mower and the FEL at the same time. The frame on the FEL on mine pretty much takes up all the space under there - not to mention the fact that the front PTO is used for the FEL hydraulic pump. From looking at it, I don't think I'd want to switch back and forth from the FEL to a belly mower either. Once the FEL is on, I think it's pretty much on for good.

My B6100 starts up just fine and runs like a top. My Father-in-law didn't use it much if at all for the last several years and kept it stored outside in Southern California.

Your tractor is probably a HSE or HDT transmission, not a gear like mine - other than that, I don't know what differences there might be.

I just got mine home this last weekend and am anxious to go "play in the dirt" this weekend. Hope you enjoy yours.

Bill

/ B6100 mowers
Heehaw,
What model B6100 do you have? B6100D (gear 4wd), B6100E (gear 2wd), B6100HSD (hydrostat 4wd) or B6100HSE (hydrostat 2wd)?

FEL: Front end loaders for the gear-drive models are no longer produced, and finding one used will be difficult. For the hydrostat models you can probably find a new Woods brand and maybe even a Kubota brand loader.

Mid Mower: Is the mid-mower driven off of a front electric/belt PTO [most likely for the gear drive models] or is it driven by a mid-PTO [most likely for the hydrostat models]? All of the Kubota mid-mowers that I have seen do an excellent job mowing (unless that are wore out or otherwise abused). On the older models the mid-mowers are a pain to remove and a really big pain to install.

Hard to start: Be sure that you give it around 1/2 throttle and plenty of preheat time. I have found that around 10 seconds works well during warm weather months and 30 seconds or more during cold weather. Those times are for my older B7100; the newer models (1990s) require less preheat time.

Kelvin

/ B6100 mowers
the B6100 is a 4wd/gear, so i guess that makes it a B6100D;
i appreciate the starting info; i "assumed" there was no need to preheat when its summer. The belly mower runs off a pulley/electric clutch on the front pto shaft, i am probably going to try the 3pt flail mower first, if it ever rains here again and the grass starts growin. I did run the tiller this wk-end, and even though the garden was about as hard as concrete, it did a pretty good job..thanks to everyone for sharing information. I got the shop manual in, a far cry from any repair manual i've used before.
heehaw