B6100 front axle &temp gauge

/ B6100 front axle &temp gauge #1  

Anonymous Poster

my B6100D has grease fittings on what appears to be the gear
box for each front wheel; is this the only lubrication, or
is there also 90wt grease in each box?? i would also like to add a temp guage to the tractor, has anyone done this, if so, where did you install the sensor and the guage??
heehaw

/ B6100 front axle &temp gauge #2  
2WD or 4WD? 2WD will only have zerk fittings. 4WD will have either UDT or 90W oil in the front differential and each wheel reduction gears. On some tractors it is the same reservoir. Instead of a temperature gauge, get off the tractor after a days work and see what the normal temperature is for the front end. Guess you were talking about adding a radiator temperature gauge. I would buy a mechanical gauge and tape the bulb to the radiator hose and put a little insulation and aluminum tape over that to keep the air temp from affecting it. This is not as good as a block mounted gauge, but it will work and let you know the engine water temperature.

/ B6100 front axle &temp gauge #3  
To ummm... ";

I just got a B6100D and I'm pretty sure I remember reading in the owner's manual that there's 90wt gear oil in the front gear boxes. I'll check when I get home and let you know over the weekend.

Bill

/ B6100 front axle &temp gauge
One possibility for a temp gauge which worked on my old L245 is the block drain. You might need a metric adapter fitting or what I did was rethread the hole to a npt size if the is sufficient clearance and depth in the block for the sensor bulb. Otherwise fastening to the upper rad hose might be the only other way.

/ B6100 front axle &temp gauge #5  
My B7100D temperature guage:

I bought a mechanical temperature guage. Then I took the radiator down to the radiator shop to have it cleaned and pressure checked. I showed them the gage and had them solder a fitting in the top of the radiator (next to where the top radiator hose connects to the radiator).

Since there won't be much of a temperature difference between (1) the water leaving the engine going to the top of the radiator and (2)the water at the top of the radiator then I figure that I am getting an accurate measurement of the engine's maximum temperature. I know that the indicated measurement matches a separate mechanical guage the radiator shop installed in the radiator.

Since my older B7100 had a round plug where an hour meter would've gone, I simply mounted the actual gauge in the round hole.

It has been over two years and has worked just fine. It sure lets me know when the front screen is covered with grass.

Hope this helps,
Kelvin