B2910

/ B2910 #11  
Kelvin, I don't disagree with anything you've said, but you say the B2910 will definitely handle a 4' rotary mower and will probably hande a 5'. It does seem odd to me that my manual for the B2710 recommends a 4' one, when the width of the rear tread is about 54". I sure don't want a mower that isn't at least as wide and the tractor, which is why I promptly traded up from a 4' rotary mower to a 5' one when I got the B2710. So for that reason, I'd sure recommend going with a 5' one on the B2910 also.

Bird

/ B2910 #12  
Bird,
I'll agree that it is ideal to have the cutting width wider than the tractor. The main item that I was trying to emphasize in my previous post was tractor stability on slopes. If stability is not a problem, then certainly they should consider the 5' rotary mower. I'd guess that stability is the main reason that your manual recommends the 4' model. The reason why I recommended trying to rent one is so that a "Stability Reality Check" could be made before a purchase is made.

When I was looking for a rotary mower for my B7100 I settled on a 42" model which is narrower than the B7100. I chose that one because I wanted maximum stability and the 42" model was lighter than the 4' model which you know the B7100 will handle. Ironically, when it comes to stability, I feel more comfortable using the 42" rotary mower on the B7100 than I do the B2150. Fortunately, I keep most of my 5 acres mowed down with a finish mower and rarely have to use the rotary mower.

Once they decide on which type mower (finish or rotary) then it will be easier to help them.

By the way, I thought about you this past week when I was visiting one of the military bases in San Antonio. It was good and hot and dry (at least it wasn't humid). Of course I took a detour by the local Kubota dealer.

/ B2910 #13  
Yeah Kelvin, of course, I'm in a pretty flat area. The only places I have to worry about stability when mowing is borrow ditches and tank dams.

I think San Antonio has had a little more rain than we've had this year. Dallas has now gone 7 weeks with none, although I did get .58" once myself about a month ago. So we have burn bans in effect, water conservation restrictions, etc., 80 at night to 100 in the afternoon, and no relief in sight. Tractor's sitting in the shop building; nothing growing to mow and ground's too hard to plow./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ B2910 #15  
Bird,

I would strongly agree on a 5' rotary for a 30 hp Kubota. My New Holland TC18, 18.5 hp, handles the 4' rotary with ease and PaulB's 17 hp Kubota handles the 4' rotary with ease too. We have both posted that we "think" that our would handle the 5' by the way they handle the 4'!

Obviously, as posted, it depends on slopes, hills, valleys, and material being cut! My 4' rotary is just a little bit wider than my turf tires, so it works great for me. No bogging thru anything, so far!

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ B2910 #16  
Bird,

I decided on a mower that is smaller than my tread width, too. The mower is 72 inch and the tractor tread is 76 inch. The Bush Hog mower is actually a tad wider than the tire width, although the blade is not. I can mow within a few inches of a fence and do not have the other problem of handing the mower on a post and pulling it down. I did not want a 84 inch mower simply because it does not load on my trailer and it sticks way back when you are mowing behind the tractor.

Yesterday I was mowing with my Lawn Boy and when it wouldn't cut, went back and got the riding lawnmower. It gave up with the finish mower over the Septic Lines. Went back and got the M6800 and it doesn't even know there are weeds growing there. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Still no rain in site. Heard another well went dry a few miles from here. Sure need some rain.

/ B2910 #17  
Wen, I can certainly understand wanting a mower that will fit on the trailer, but I thought your were supposed to hit a fence post every now and then./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

And the drought is getting serious. This clay's so dry and shrinking that I've got a couple of doors that don't want to close easily and latch right./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I put the finish mower on the tractor and just mowed about 5% of the yard today (the part that gets watered by the sewer system sprinklers). The rest of it's dying anyway, and sure not growing. Getting quite a few dead leaves on the ground, too, already.

Bird

/ B2910
Does you owners manual speciuy a max size for the mower? The manual for my B2400 does (happens to be 4'). I would not exceed the mower width and weight specs in your owners manual.

/ B2910 #19  
I have a B2910 with a 60 inch mid mount finish mower for the lawn (lots of trees to mow around) and a 5 foot BushHog rotary mower for my meadow. I also use the rotary mower to keep my wood roads mowed. My 40 acres consists of lots of hills(in this part of VT everything is hilly) and the tractor does a GREAT job mowing with both. I definitely would limit the rotary mower to 5 ft. A 6 footer would not save you much time and it would put quite a load on a 30 HP tractor, especially in the spring when the grass is tall.