B2650 and very cold weather

/ B2650 and very cold weather #1  

HEC

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 @ B2650HSDC
I had to go out in 0 degree weather this morning to take care of 6 inches of new snow . The tractor is in a heated area so starting was no problem . I noticed when I drove it outside the temp. indicator wouldn't even stay at the 1 bar level even while working the tractor . I read on this forum about using a piece of cardboard with a 6 inch hole cut out, so I tried that and I could then get 1 bar most of the time but never anymore than that . Does running this cool do any harm , or should I just cover the entire front of the radiator with cardboard ?

/ B2650 and very cold weather #2  
Is your thermostat working correctly. I'd think it would warm up better than you are getting.

/ B2650 and very cold weather
Is your thermostat working correctly. I'd think it would warm up better than you are getting.

It seemed to be working just fine up until this morning , not sure if it was the weather or thermostat . I wasn't cold in the cab as I was getting some warm air from the heater, but not tee shirt hot for sure .

/ B2650 and very cold weather #4  
HEC.....

I wouldn't be concerned. I managed to get mine up to 2 bars after clearing 14 driveways (working hard). Did you have plenty of heat inside the cab to keep you warm? If not, then there may be an issue but the B's have a pretty efficient cooling system and zero degrees is getting into 'better put on a jacket weather'..and the snow blowing back at you and into the grill adds to the cooling. A piece of cardboard to block airflow and snowflow will help if lack of cab heat is an issue.

HEC.....

I wouldn't be concerned. I managed to get mine up to 2 bars after clearing 14 driveways (working hard). Did you have plenty of heat inside the cab to keep you warm? If not, then there may be an issue but the B's have a pretty efficient cooling system and zero degrees is getting into 'better put on a jacket weather'..and the snow blowing back at you and into the grill adds to the cooling. A piece of cardboard to block airflow and snowflow will help if lack of cab heat is an issue.

Thanks Kanook for the reply as that makes me feel better . I did have enough heat to the point that I wasn't cold and didn't need gloves etc.. In the other storms I had to shut the heat off at times as it would get to warm .

/ B2650 and very cold weather #6  
When its that cold, the cab heat might be all the engine needs to keep itself cool, the radiator might not even be doing anything.

When its that cold, the cab heat might be all the engine needs to keep itself cool, the radiator might not even be doing anything.

I think you may be right Dave , I know when it is really cold here even my car heater will cool down the engine if turned up to high .

/ B2650 and very cold weather #8  
I think you may be right Dave , I know when it is really cold here even my car heater will cool down the engine if turned up to high .
My diesel truck does the same thing,add some cardboard in front of the radiator and see how it does.

I will cut another piece of card board and cover more of the radiator for next time . Glad I didn't have to go out this morning as it was 23 below when I got up . I think I need to move south , my good friend and neighbor just left for Fl. yesterday for good .

/ B2650 and very cold weather #10  
My B2620 doesn't even get much warmer when running in the summer, using the MMM for several hours. But in past winters ( no snow this year) it even runs cooler than that when doing snow. Below zero F, I might put something in front of the radiator however. I don't have a cab.
Warm Cheers,
Mike