B2150 4x4, motor won't turn

/ B2150 4x4, motor won't turn #31  
Need some help/ ideas. Kubota 2150 ran great yesterday. Started fine this morning. Raised loader so I could remove some brackets for the mower deck. I finished up and the loader had drifted down a little( which I expect) and then I lowered it all the way down while tractor was off. I went to start it later and it won't turn over , only got a partial revolution, so I thought being cold it needed a charge. Well 3 hours later it still won't turn , starter engages and tries but can't. Starter is fine. Any ideas ??????
Before I get these answers I got from another site , starter , battery, the wires and connections are good ! It's not electrical ! Also I moved the loader controls around in every correction to relieve any pressure.
I know it sounds stupid; but my Yanmar engine on my LS tractor did the same thing. It has 2 fill plugs. I unscrewed the cap on top, and heard a hiss. Apparently pressure had built up, and it would not turn over. It stated right away after I released the pressure.

/ B2150 4x4, motor won't turn #32  
Jumped cam timing?

/ B2150 4x4, motor won't turn #33  
Visually check the engine mounts. One broke on my Kubota some time back and the bottom motor pulley jammed against the remains of the broken bracket.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / B2150 4x4, motor won't turn #34  
Need some help/ ideas. Kubota 2150 ran great yesterday. Started fine this morning. Raised loader so I could remove some brackets for the mower deck. I finished up and the loader had drifted down a little( which I expect) and then I lowered it all the way down while tractor was off. I went to start it later and it won't turn over , only got a partial revolution, so I thought being cold it needed a charge. Well 3 hours later it still won't turn , starter engages and tries but can't. Starter is fine. Any ideas ??????
Before I get these answers I got from another site , starter , battery, the wires and connections are good ! It's not electrical ! Also I moved the loader controls around in every correction to relieve any pressure.
Check your starter ! My bendix stuck on my 1946 Willys CJ-2A and it would not turn - just one click and I couldn't turn the engine even with a wrench. Being so old, I was sure that the engine had frozen - after just coming down the hill a few minutes before. I even hammered on the starter to make it loosen. I had to loosen the 2 bolts holding the starter and I heard it click and release from the flywheel.

I took the starter off and dissasembled it and put oil on the bendix and the starter ends (the sliding cap looked oily - but it still got oil from the inside to make sure that nothing was dry).

I hope that is all you had wrong that stopped you from starting.

/ B2150 4x4, motor won't turn #35  
If the starter is still out, mark the ring gear with crayon or spray paint.
Try to bar the motor backwards (working through the starter hole) with a real stout screwdriver, tire iron or pry bar. Try to determine how much of a revolution it will rotate in either direction. If you get to even half a turn, make a second mark, then go the other way. Try to establish if it's a hard mechanical blockage, like something broke above a piston, or something fell into the flywheel/clutch area.

Not that knowing this fixes anything, but if something is jamming up above the piston, it should do it EACH time the piston gets to the top, from either direction.
i doubt it's a bound up accessory, especially a belt driven one, but just loosening the belt should prove/disprove that possibility.
Removing injectors would quickly show hydraulic lock, whether water or fuel.
Speaking of water, was it parked in the rain since it last ran? About 60 years ago, our Super M was left outside overnight in a hard rain. Starter wouldn't turn it, nor a hand crank. We rolled it down the hill out behind the barn. Black water shot out of the muffler, got me wet and stained, but it started. Lucky for us, we could have easily broke something or bent a connecting rod.

/ B2150 4x4, motor won't turn #36  
my initial reaction was hydro lock like others have said. try removing all the glow plugs and see if anything changes. I did have a diesel truck a long time ago that was running and then would never restart, after tons of work I finally pulled the oil pan and realized the crankshaft had broken in half and the truck somehow was still running almost normal but when i turned it off things completely separated and it never cranked again. try pulling the oil filter and drain oil to see if there is any signs of metal, if so pull the pan.

/ B2150 4x4, motor won't turn #37  
I started with simplest first ( in very knowledgeable ) and pretty much eliminated the motor being the problem , pretty much with all the early tries I almost, all together , got a full revolution. The starter is still out and if I had a bore scope I could look in the hole where that goes , but I don't have one. I jacked the back end up and spin the wheels in neutral and in the 3 ranges and still no movement of any sort at the flywheel. Also drained motor oil and checked for metal frags and there was none.
I agree the motor is probably OK given that you did not note any knocking or other issues when it last ran. I really feel like it is something mechanical that is jamming up the works and I do not see how the loader being lowered has a connection to the problem unless the bucket physically pushed something into the engine which seems highly unlikely.

Did you cut the oil filter open to look for metal?

So you can get it to turn one revolution in each direction before it stops? If you get it to the middle of a revolution you could try to fish a magnet around in each cylinder and around the flywheel to see if you come up with anything.

You can probably rent a scope to look in the cylinders or have someone come by who has one. I'd scope it before I'd remove the head.

You seem pretty knowledgeable, so I assume you checked the glow plugs to ensure a piece of one of them is not floating around in a cylinder. Although usually when they break the piece just bounces around in the cylinder and makes a racket.

If you cannot get the glow plug out to check it you can do a continuity test to ensure it is still together.

/ B2150 4x4, motor won't turn #38  
HF sells scopes pretty cheap (I have one) and you can get one that plugs into your phone on Flea Bay for about 10 bucks.

/ B2150 4x4, motor won't turn #39  
On my kubota, I have had the little "extra Safety switches" Stick or be dirty and shut the machine down.. look them all up and check connections.. Know it sounds stupid BUT check anyway...

/ B2150 4x4, motor won't turn #40  
It sounds like your motor won't go past top dead centre. Because liquid cannot be compressed one of the cylinders could have a flood of liquid on top of the piston, which could be diesel, water from the jacket or oil.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR