Oil & Fuel B21, smelled fuel, found puddle on head.

/ B21, smelled fuel, found puddle on head. #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
Began noticing fuel smell. Wrote it off to having spilled some while filling last week. After working a few hours shut down and noticed some dripping, found a puddle of fuel at the injector closest to the cab.

Cleaned up, started engine ran at 2500 and watched. Puddle began to form and could see some bubbling where the injector and block meet. Could not see bubbles at idle, but maybe did not watch long enough.

Could I be luck enough for it to be just a seal or/and the heat shield? How common are cracked injectors or heads?

/ B21, smelled fuel, found puddle on head. #2  
I would check with the dealer tech and see if you can get the torque spec and tighten it down, if necessary

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / B21, smelled fuel, found puddle on head. #3  
If it’s raw fuel, it’s probably a leaking gasket at the return line.. alway follow the torque specs..

/ B21, smelled fuel, found puddle on head.
If it’s raw fuel, it’s probably a leaking gasket at the return line.. alway follow the torque specs..

Pretty tired when first looking at it. Now not sure where it is actually leaking.

I don't see any gaskets for the fuel "overflow" pipe (p/n 16261-42502).

I'll give it a fresh look tomorrow.

/ B21, smelled fuel, found puddle on head. #5  
Dry area w compressed air and brake cleaner.. sprinkle baby powder on area/engine..
Start engine and watch the flow..
Good luck

Dry area w compressed air and brake cleaner.. sprinkle baby powder on area/engine..
Start engine and watch the flow..
Good luck

Does not seem to be leaking at all now.

Fooled me. Seems to only do it when it gets hot.

Seems to be leaking from the very top at the union for supply pipe to injector.

Removed the pipe and looks like there is a "flat" spot on the "cone" where it would seal on the injector. Since it's late Messicks will ship tomorrow, so I probably won't get it for the weekend. Maybe.

So figured to ask how likely it is for the injector to also be bad at the sealing face? From what I could see it did not look bad.

In any case it will be parked till fixed, not so much for fuel loss, but for "lean run" concerns on that one cylinder. Probably just over cautious.