B&S 13.5 hp oil leak

/ B&S 13.5 hp oil leak #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I have this little Sears mower with Briggs and Stratton 13.5 hp motor. It's the second motor, first was replaced under warranty. Apparently there's an oil leak somewhere. I can't see it dripping, it doesn't smoke, but I have to add a pint every time I use it. My guess is leak where filler tube is...but not sure. Anyone familiar with this motor and problem/fix...thanks in advance. 20180805_173441.jpeg20180805_173344.jpeg20180805_173427.jpeg20180805_173354.jpeg

/ B&S 13.5 hp oil leak #2  
I'm honestly not seeing a spot where it would be losing a pint every mowing. If it were losing that much it would be wet with oil.

Do you notice oil under the mower when it sits? If not I'd say you're using oil ..

/ B&S 13.5 hp oil leak
There is oil where it sits. It doesn't smoke running. I'm guessing it's common for that motor. The new motor was because I forgot to check oil when I used it and it locked up. Now I overfill it some.

/ B&S 13.5 hp oil leak #4  
The lower dipstick grommets on these do like to leak, but only a small amount. Your choice is to replace the grommet, wait a couple of months and do it again- or clean both the inner and outer parts of the grommet well and use a bit of sealer that is OK with rubber. A lower crank seal will leak some oil as well. The stack pulley will throw oil all over the underside. Where these leak alot of oil are the sump gaskets when the retaining bolts come loose. You can get at a few of the bolts with a box end wrench to check tightness. If the bolts are backing out, a reseal will do the trick provided it hasn't been running loose for long. New gasket, chase the threads and lock them. In any case, keep the oil level at or just below full on the dipstick.