B or L Series 33hp...Which one and why..???

/ B or L Series 33hp...Which one and why..??? #1  

treedawg

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Yanmar YM2000
Thx,

td

/ B or L Series 33hp...Which one and why..??? #2  
L series much better built with lifetime frame and lift and power take off feature altogether stronger and heavier duty

/ B or L Series 33hp...Which one and why..??? #3  
Well, the L will be able to handle larger projects so if maneuverability isn't a concern that's what I'd go with.

/ B or L Series 33hp...Which one and why..??? #4  
What are your needs? They are designed to perform better in different applications.
The L is a bit heavier/larger but lacking in some features.

The B had some nice features, is lighter which can be good for mowing and operating on turf, loader lift height is a bit less, also has a turbo which is good for higher altitudes.

/ B or L Series 33hp...Which one and why..??? #5  
I've owned/own both. Neither better than the other. The L will be a bit heavier which will give a bit better traction and usually the hydraulic lift is a bit stronger on the L. My most recent B was a B2650 which I traded to a L3901 because I bought the 25 acres "mountain" behind my house and needed more traction and weight to knock the small trees down to bush hog them. I also added a 6' bush hog to mow the additional 6 large residential lots the seller made me buy before he'd sell me the 25 acres. Weight usually means traction.

/ B or L Series 33hp...Which one and why..??? #6  
Currently (was) considering the same choice.

Initially, I preferred the L due to larger frame/heavier and more CID.

Upon closer inspection, I eliminated the L series because the turning brake pedals are on the same side as is the hydro pedal. This is a show stopper for me as I regularly carry the front end and steer with the brakes.

That said, if considering a gear drive L series, such is not an issue.

The B series is a more "deluxe/premium" line. The L series is the low cost leader. Not an issue to many but creature comforts are worth something.

Additional features to consider: The B series has a mid PTO, necessary for MMM or snow blower. The L series does not.

Finally, I have a B1750HST bought new in 1994. I use it with the Kubota 60' MMM to mow my lawn and with a back blade and F & R chains to plow snow on my 1/4 mile steep DW.

In the 23+ years that I have owned the B1750, it has needed nothing. NOTHING, aside from regular lube/oil/filter changes. NOTHING. Not so much as a fuse, lamp bulb or fan belt. NOTHING.

Yes, it has always been kept inside, receives regular maintenance, and is not abused. That said, NOTHING in 23+ years is quite impressive.

SDT

/ B or L Series 33hp...Which one and why..??? #7  
<snip>
The B series is a more "deluxe/premium" line. The L series is the low cost leader. Not an issue to many but creature comforts are worth something.
<snip>
I always viewed it as the other way around. That being written I prefer a B7610 and a M4700.

/ B or L Series 33hp...Which one and why..??? #8  
The L has more lift height, something I wish I had when loading my dump trailer.
If the B had the same lift height I would prefer it over the L for my needs.

/ B or L Series 33hp...Which one and why..??? #9  
If you could list your planned-for uses, you may get more targeted responses that could better answer to your needs, but what has been offered so far sounds right to me. We had a Grand L tractor that had some nice features and was very capable, considering its modest power. But, it was heavy, and since it had to travel over our "lawn" to get anywhere, that weight was a problem unless the ground was frozen. Our present L-3400 is actually more powerful, but lighter, less lift, etc., so it's a compromise. Our first tractor was an 80's B8200, which, in hindsight, seems like a good balance. I doubt if any one tractor would be optimal for our various needs, hence finding the right compromise is valuable.

Last edited:
   / B or L Series 33hp...Which one and why..??? #10  
............................The B series is a more "deluxe/premium" line. The L series is the low cost leader. Not an issue to many but creature comforts are worth something...........................

I always viewed it as the other way around......................
I believe the confusion is that there is an L series and a Grand L series, which is Kubota's top of the line series with all the bells and whistles.