Avoiding Tax on New Tractor??

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #21  
When I completed by state tax return this year, there was a question that I had never seen before. It went something like "purchases over $100.00 out of state that sales tax wasn't paid on". I didn't think much of it that Saturday, but for some reason it was bugging me the next day. By Monday morning I had looked it up on line and began the inquiry process. There is a form in VA that you are asked to complete and it applies the sales tax for your purchase and you just send in the check and the completed 1/2 page form. It then occurred to me that I had bought a couple of tractors from out of state that didn't have sales tax at the time of purchase. I called the information desk at the tax department and they assured me that any purchases over $100.00 that didn't have sales tax paid on them either in the state of origin or here, needed to be paid. I hung up, filled out the form, wrote the check and mailed it. I didn't write the tax code but I live here and that is what applies here. So, I gave Ceasar his due.

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #22  
When I completed by state tax return this year, there was a question that I had never seen before. It went something like "purchases over $100.00 out of state that sales tax wasn't paid on". I didn't think much of it that Saturday, but for some reason it was bugging me the next day. By Monday morning I had looked it up on line and began the inquiry process. There is a form in VA that you are asked to complete and it applies the sales tax for your purchase and you just send in the check and the completed 1/2 page form. It then occurred to me that I had bought a couple of tractors from out of state that didn't have sales tax at the time of purchase. I called the information desk at the tax department and they assured me that any purchases over $100.00 that didn't have sales tax paid on them either in the state of origin or here, needed to be paid. I hung up, filled out the form, wrote the check and mailed it. I didn't write the tax code but I live here and that is what applies here. So, I gave Ceasar his due.

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #23  
The laws on this will vary from state to state. So, any generalizatin here could mislead someone. And I'm not saying a word about any sales taxes I paid. - /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #24  
The laws on this will vary from state to state. So, any generalizatin here could mislead someone. And I'm not saying a word about any sales taxes I paid. - /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #25  
That will be happening more and more, as the states already realize how much money they are losing from online and out-of-state purchases. When you have to answer that question on the tax form and then sign it saying it is accurate, the cheese gets a bit binding on the conscience. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Friend of mine who purchased a lot of goods online and through catalogs was contacted by the State, and asked about the purchases. She paid a penalty and the back state taxes. Now she adds the tax to her online and out-of-state purchases on a regular basis, to stay out of trouble.

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #26  
That will be happening more and more, as the states already realize how much money they are losing from online and out-of-state purchases. When you have to answer that question on the tax form and then sign it saying it is accurate, the cheese gets a bit binding on the conscience. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Friend of mine who purchased a lot of goods online and through catalogs was contacted by the State, and asked about the purchases. She paid a penalty and the back state taxes. Now she adds the tax to her online and out-of-state purchases on a regular basis, to stay out of trouble.

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #27  
Bob, I am not aware of any state or federal statute that requires a person to report purchases where the seller has not collected a required tax. But, I can most certainly assure you that in the state of Texas a seller who, in the normal course of business is required to collect a sales tax on taxable items will get into trouble for not collecting the tax for or at least for not paying the tax to, the state comptroller.

Regardless of the distance between the meanings of avoid and evade, it is not illegal to avoid the police, but it is illegal to evade them.

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #28  
Bob, I am not aware of any state or federal statute that requires a person to report purchases where the seller has not collected a required tax. But, I can most certainly assure you that in the state of Texas a seller who, in the normal course of business is required to collect a sales tax on taxable items will get into trouble for not collecting the tax for or at least for not paying the tax to, the state comptroller.

Regardless of the distance between the meanings of avoid and evade, it is not illegal to avoid the police, but it is illegal to evade them.

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #29  
Take the time to ask a CPA. Don't rely on what you read here. You're going to get all kinds of answers and you won't know which are right or wrong.

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #30  
Take the time to ask a CPA. Don't rely on what you read here. You're going to get all kinds of answers and you won't know which are right or wrong.