Avoiding Tax on New Tractor??

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #131  
I've lived here all of my 69 years. :)
Best state i've ever lived in. :D

Weather permiting will be in Columbus the 25/26th of March for a cattle sale.
and using Birds Lustrums have one on you.

Take care. ken

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #135  
No, its not necessarily fair. And....... I sure as heck DON'T pay sales tax. For anyone buying a new tractor for personal use (not as a tax write off, and not to be registered for road use), c'mon up to New Hampshire to buy.

We just had a situation here where the state of Massachusetts was taking a national chain store to court in an attempt to make them hand over tax monies for Massachusetts residents who bought tires for their car in NH. FAIL ! In fact, when that came to light the state of New Hampshire passed a law making it illegal for other states to collect their sales taxes from businesses in New Hampshire.

Sorry, just forking over money to the government to blow isn't what I call patriotic. Saving money where you can just makes good sense. Yes.... there are plenty of taxes we MUST pay, but i sure wouldn't feel guilty for using the system to my advantage. Thats why so many people use an accountant to do their tax return, isn't it ??

Yes it is fair. If them's the rules of whatever state you happen to be in, then you follow them or you don't. It's your integrity not mine. What isn't fair is when people CHEAT the system to their advantage. Then the state has to collect MORE money from the people who do follow the system, in order to cover the budget's that the state had to plan for, that everyone gets the benefit from.

Makes me glad that I didn't have to die serving the country for "some" people's freedom to cheat the tax code. Forking over money to the gubment isn't the definition of patriotic, but most certainly, CHERRYPICKING which laws you want to follow most certainly is not either.

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #136  
Pay what you owe and don't pay what you don't owe.

But don't cheat!

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #137  
Yes there is a sales tax in TN (9.25% per dollar). We have Democrats.... :D

In TN if the tractor is for commercial farming (large or small) then a form can be filed with the seller (which goes to the IRS to exclude the seller's liability for the tax) exempting the sales tax. The buyer should be able to provide (to the IRS) reason for the exemption such as owning a commercial operation (and filing tax papers as such). Otherwise, it's like any other commodity in TN.
Yes there is a sales tax in TN (9.25% per dollar). We have Democrats.... :D

In TN if the tractor is for commercial farming (large or small) then a form can be filed with the seller (which goes to the IRS to exclude the seller's liability for the tax) exempting the sales tax. The buyer should be able to provide (to the IRS) reason for the exemption such as owning a commercial operation (and filing tax papers as such). Otherwise, it's like any other commodity in TN.
Republicans control every facet of political life in Tennessee, but Democrats somehow raised the sales tax anyway. Geez! :)

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #138  
I live in Texas. If I buy a new tractor from another state will I not have to pay any sales tax on the tractor? I called a dealer in Louisianna and was told that if I had a driver's license from Texas that there would be no tax. But when I return to Texas is there any entity that will want to collect. Uncle Sam usually gets his fair share.
I don't qualify for ag exemption in my county.

Curt
No Federal sales tax so it’s just state taxes you are trying to avoid. Time to pay your fair share

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #139  
I live in Texas. If I buy a new tractor from another state will I not have to pay any sales tax on the tractor? I called a dealer in Louisianna and was told that if I had a driver's license from Texas that there would be no tax. But when I return to Texas is there any entity that will want to collect. Uncle Sam usually gets his fair share.
I don't qualify for ag exemption in my county.

Curt
I live In New Mexico and bought my tractor in Colorado. There was no tax for sale to out of state residents in Colorado. I also had a quote from a Texas dealer and they said I would have to pay tax there even if I’m not a resident. In my state, there’s no mechanism to collect taxes from out of state sales on a tractor, so I paid zero taxes. I have bought a vehicle out of state and of course had to pay New Mexico taxes when I registered the vehicle. Since tractors aren’t registered 😉