Auto insurance

/ Auto insurance #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I have driven about 3 days without it in my life, I consider carrying insurance to be a responsibility to my fellow motorists. (I also have had 1 claim in 40+ years and over a million miles.) Saturday I was stopped for speeding, I didn't slow down soon enough going into town.
(no excuse, but they moved the sign back about 1/4 mile.)
That wasn't a problem; what was is that somehow my insurance company got the wrong serial # when I bought the truck 4 years ago. I got that straightened out but the update is effective today, and it appears that I still have a $186 fine for driving without insurance despite paying for it all of these years. The worst part is that the company will then charge me for what was most likely their error... causing me to drop them after 20+ years.

The good thing is that I found out this way, rather than getting into a major accident and ending up on the hook.

/ Auto insurance #2  
I have driven about 3 days without it in my life, I consider carrying insurance to be a responsibility to my fellow motorists. (I also have had 1 claim in 40+ years and over a million miles.) Saturday I was stopped for speeding, I didn't slow down soon enough going into town.
(no excuse, but they moved the sign back about 1/4 mile.)
That wasn't a problem; what was is that somehow my insurance company got the wrong serial # when I bought the truck 4 years ago. I got that straightened out but the update is effective today, and it appears that I still have a $186 fine for driving without insurance despite paying for it all of these years. The worst part is that the company will then charge me for what was most likely their error... causing me to drop them after 20+ years.

The good thing is that I found out this way, rather than getting into a major accident and ending up on the hook.
Do you have any proof such as an email of you giving your agent or company the right number?
if so, that might be enough to either get you out of the ticket or get them to pay for it.
I always email my agent the VIN number just for that reason, that way I have proof that I sent them the right number if they end up getting it wrong on the paperwork.

Aaron Z

/ Auto insurance #3  
I'm really surprised your agent didn't go to bat for you and straighten this out. Insurance agents make money by selling policies so driving customers away is bad business. I've generally found the agent to be on my side.

/ Auto insurance
I brought my paperwork to them 4 years ago and never looked at it since. Yesterday I dug out my original policy and the numbers didn't match then, and didn't match on the 3 policies since; so it's my fault for not checking. I'm just POed because this will give them an excuse to jack my rates, although my biggest mistake was in not checking their work.

Oh yeah, and I can think of a lot of things that I would rather spend that $186 on.

/ Auto insurance #5  
was the vin # even close ? If it was. the cop was just an azz for writing the ticket.
The town likely needs more tax money and what better way to get it than to write a ticket such as no insurance

/ Auto insurance #6  
You better believe I checked the vehicle VIN numbers on my policies. Even with the incorrect VIN number - the insurance agent should have backed you. They sure willingly accepted your premiums with the thought that the number was correct.

I've been with State Farm for 55+ years. I would hope they could correct a situation such as this with little to no hoop-la.

Last edited:
   / Auto insurance #7  
Stuff happens but if it only has a couple numbers or letters inverted it should be obvious to all it was simple human error. Hit the insurance company up to refund all the premiums paid. :dance1:

I recently received notice in the mail of a parking ticket I supposedly received and didn't pay on my tan jeep in Miami. Problem is I don't own a tan jeep and haven't been to Miami. Cop inverted two letters on the license entry on the ticket. Jackasses said I could come to the courthouse in Miami to appeal. Fortunately I pushed the right buttons to avoid that or having to pay a citation that wasn't mine. I did insist on and received notice via email that the situation was corrected.

"Please be advised that research of Citation ######### has indicated the officer may have misidentified the tag number. Liability will be removed from your tag and name pending further research. Please allow 1-2 weeks for processing. Unless you receive further notice by mail pertaining to this citation, you may disregard.

Thank you.

PARKING VIOLATIONS BUREAU

22 NW 1st Street 4th Floor

Miami, FL 33128"

/ Auto insurance
The VIN's from another Ranger downstate, just one town over from where I bought mine.
I sent my agent an email explaining the exact situation (again). I also made it clear that I won't be with them long if this isn't taken care of.
I've been with them for well over 20 years, including my commercial policies.

/ Auto insurance #9  
I brought my paperwork to them 4 years ago and never looked at it since. Yesterday I dug out my original policy and the numbers didn't match then, and didn't match on the 3 policies since; so it's my fault for not checking. I'm just POed because this will give them an excuse to jack my rates, although my biggest mistake was in not checking their work.

Oh yeah, and I can think of a lot of things that I would rather spend that $186 on.

I suppose if you were as diligent in finding life's errors as you are at finding peoples typos and spelling errors, you would not be in this situation!
You could have FIXED it!

/ Auto insurance
I suppose if you were as diligent in finding life's errors as you are at finding peoples typos and spelling errors, you would not be in this situation!
You could have FIXED it!
You still haven't shown where all of these places are where I've allegedly found "people's typos and spelling errors"... because they don't exist. You apparently have me confused with somebody else.