Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet

/ Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet #1  

Glenn9643

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 1455v 4wd, 1040FEL
I was looking for one the other day. HD price for Lincoln that darkens to one shade was $139. Found the same one at Lowe's for $97. May not have been a bargain, but it was substantially cheaper than HD. Now to get more practice with the welder...

/ Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet #2  
I believe that Harbor Freight has them for $59.00 or $69.00. Still good to know where it is cheaper locally though. G

/ Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet #3  
I saw them at a Homier's show last year for $39.95. Almost bought one, but decided you probably get what you pay for and my eyesight is not something to risk.

/ Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet #4  
I would not buy on price alone...

I have two auto-darkening helmets. The first was a "cheaper" one that I bought in a rush, when I needed a helmet for an evening welding class. It was ArcOne. It works but not nearly as well as my second one. Which is a Jackson NexGen.

Of course, the NexGen cost $269, and that was a good price.

The downside of my cheaper helmet is that I just can't see what is going on as well as I can when using the more expensive one. The viewing area is the same, but the "view" is not.

I should have bought better quality to begin with. That being said, quality keeps going up and prices down on these electronic helmets.

Best thing is probably to try before you buy...Sometimes easier said than done... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet #5  
Good points made. That is the truth with most anything in general. G

/ Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet #6  
Henro -- I did the same thing. Bought a cheapie, then bit the bullet and bought the real thing. Night and day in comfort, vision and adjustability. Pete