Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #61  
How many have a sprinkler system in the garage? 20 years ago, in Atlanta, Georgia area, new construction included a sprinkler head over the vehicle. With EV's today, seems like a good idea to slow the fire.
I have fire sprinklers... garage, home, outside entry, etc.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #62  
Actually I'm more concerned about all my DeWalt 20V and Flexvolt batteries, and ensuring they are unplugged.
for instance
Tool battery fires are rare but I don't take chances. All my DeWalt chargers are plugged into a heavy duty outlet strip controlled by a twist timer. That way, I don't forget to unplug them.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #63  
Tool battery fires are rare but I don't take chances. All my DeWalt chargers are plugged into a heavy duty outlet strip controlled by a twist timer. That way, I don't forget to unplug them.
Good idea! I charge the batteries on a non-flammable surface, and never leave a charging battery unattended, with the door always open. I use the tools too much to believe that the batteries are in perfect shape. Definitely belt and suspenders, but why take the risk?

I don't sweat the EV charging; the frequency seems too low to me, and I have much bigger risks to deal with; earthquakes, wildfires, arsonists, lightning, all of which have happened here. "You pays your money and you take your choice..."

All the best,

Peter

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #64  
I like the timer idea, mine sit on the chargers for months at a time, as I have more batteries than I even remember, and chargers scattered all over two floors of my shop.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #65  
I like the timer idea, mine sit on the chargers for months at a time, as I have more batteries than I even remember, and chargers scattered all over two floors of my shop.
Must be nice to have that many batteries!

FWIW: Most lithium batteries don't benefit from staying fully charged for long periods of time. I'm not sure that for the health of the batteries, I would not leave them on the charger constantly.

All the best,

Peter

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #66  
Must be nice to have that many batteries!
This is why I bought all of my tools over time from the same brand and series. Each comes with two batteries and a charger, and they're all interchangeable.

FWIW: Most lithium batteries don't benefit from staying fully charged for long periods of time. I'm not sure that for the health of the batteries, I would not leave them on the charger constantly.
Agreed. It's probably not the best thing in the world for them. But on the flip side, I never run into a situation where I'm doing work and run out of fully-charged batteries. They're not so expensive that I'm really losing any sleep over shortening their lifespan a little, esp. as I think the chargers are smart enough to limit over-charging.

I'm perfectly fine killing a 10-year battery in 8-years, to avoid having work interrupted by finding the batteries aren't fully charged when I need them. By usage of these tools is very intermittent, sometimes might be very heavy for a few days or week, and then sit seldom-used for several weeks or even months.