Attach Additional Shanks to this 2 Row Planter?

/ Attach Additional Shanks to this 2 Row Planter? #1  

saxon11

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T474
I'm looking at buying this planter for sweet corn. I'd also like to use this as cultivator after corn starts to come up. There are only two shanks provided (for the 2 row planter), but for cultivating it would make most sense to have 4 total (1 on each side of the 2 rows). Does anyone have ideas on doing or adding this to the frame of the planter? thank you
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 2.53.46 PM.png

/ Attach Additional Shanks to this 2 Row Planter? #2  
You can find old used cultivators for next to nothing around here, Most farms have several buried in the weeds that dont get used anymore, Lots on craiglist also.

/ Attach Additional Shanks to this 2 Row Planter? #3  
Simple.... If you can fabricate at all, just make shanks out of square tube, bolt to frame, bolt a cheap chisel or small cultivator shovel to the shank.. Years ago I built a 3 pt tool platform and built all manor of chissel, cultivator, hiller bedder shanks to bolt on.. The combinations are endless...

Chisel plow.jpg

/ Attach Additional Shanks to this 2 Row Planter? #4  
I'm looking at buying this planter for sweet corn. I'd also like to use this as cultivator after corn starts to come up. There are only two shanks provided (for the 2 row planter), but for cultivating it would make most sense to have 4 total (1 on each side of the 2 rows). Does anyone have ideas on doing or adding this to the frame of the planter? thank you
Should be able to get a JD or IH cutdown to 2rows for $500/row on CL.

/ Attach Additional Shanks to this 2 Row Planter? #5  
The 2 row planter in post #1 is what I would use here in our ground and the conditions I have thought of using it.. That being more a "food plot" type of planting in our big pasture..

In our growing zone 2 part of the bush we don't have enough time to get a crop of corn, dent or sweet... I would just let it grow to where it was able to achieve during the season, brush hog or cut for a fodder type feed for our small livestock... Good enough, with all parameters considered..

How I envision using the planter is move them as close together on center as possible, even if I have to switch side with the planters.. This to plant 2 rows about 6" or so apart.. This will maximize the amount of corn in the area given, still leaving room for cultivation... Or..... To do this, it may require running 1 planter about 3" off center and going over the same row 2 directions... Maybe not the most productive way to use the tools and seed, but again, good enough considering all parameters here in this area...

There are a number of people that buy planters and fab them into 1 or 2 row impliments... Things like JD 71 planters and the like.. They are not shy about charging for there work...