ASV RC100 questions

/ ASV RC100 questions #1  
Tractor
2013 Terex PT110, 1954 Ford NAA with tracks, 2012 John Deere 3320 eHydro with cab
I'm thinking about getting a skid steer of some sort for home use. I'm not a contractor, I'm just going to use it around 100 acres of property for working on my trails, making new ones, getting firewood, snow removal, ect. I might average 150 - 200 hours a year on it.

I definitely want tracks for it. HP size I'm not sure yet. Probably 50+. I ran across a 2005, ASV RC100. The price seems good, it appears to be in good shape with about 2,000 hours on it. It has the heated/AC cab with it, hi and low flow hydraulics and it may have the quick change mounting system so you don't have to get out of the cab to connect attachments.

My questions are:

Anyone have experience with an ASV and how well they hold up maintenance wise?

Are there any common problems with them?

I am curious about their track system. How well does that whole assembly hold up with the tracks, all of the idler wheels, and undercarriage? Is it alot of maintenance and repair work?

Comparing the tracked ASV to a standard skid steer that has tires does one system have less maintenance?

Do these ASV's or a skid steer with tracks go through muddy/semi swampy areas well?

Do tracks get good traction for plowing snow compared to tires?

I've considered a standard skid steer with the tires and then getting the removable tracks too, but at the moment this ASV appears to be alot of bang for my buck so I'm exploring this option first.

/ ASV RC100 questions #2  
ASV has a very complicated and "partsy" u/c and by far is the most expensive CTL to replace the "bottom" Although they ride like a Caddy! At 2000 hrs. I suspect that either major u/c work is needed or just done. I would find out what the current owner has to say. You'll love a SS or a CTL for your described use on your property. They (CTL's) are not so great in the snow and flat out poor on any icy snow or ice. They're flotation is ton's better than a SS but the traction is less than a SS with OTT's. Keep reading on the benefits and short coming's of each type. Aside from the generally looking the same, (SSvs. CTL) there are big differences in operating costs and operating ability in various conditions. For my use, I chose a large SS with metal OTT's and tire chains in the winter. There are times when I would appreciate additional flotation, but most of the time it is dry (and solid enough) and I feel that I would be wearing out "stuff" more expensive than tires, and when necessary, I can add traction by putting on the tracks. PS, I would like to have a CTL also, but would not get an ASV because of the U/C.

/ ASV RC100 questions #3  
Like Rustyiron said... Get ready for sticker shock when you have to do anything to the undercarriage.

/ ASV RC100 questions #4  
ASV/Terex is awfully proud of their parts, especially undercarriage parts. But that being said, what ever brand of machine you choose, make sure that you have a GOOD servicing dealer, that wants to take care of you. Otherwise you will wish you had never seen your machine.
Rubber tracks are bad on snow, and worse on ice. They do make some screw in studs for them that I intend to try next winter, but that doesn't help you now.
I suppose that a skid steer has less maintenance than most CTL's (ASV/Terex is more expensive than most), but for me the CTL is the only way to fly.
As far as "muddy, semi swampy terrain".......None of them are a substitute for an air boat, and all of them will get stuck in a swampy area if the operator isn't very careful about where he goes and what he does. Even then he may get stuck. :laughing:

/ ASV RC100 questions
Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit stuck between my uses. I had a feeling a CTL would be high maintenance with high cost. I will be doing a good amount of snow removal with a hydraulic v plow and I probably will buy a snow blower. My property has a fair amount of soft spots so floatation would be nice, but I can manage to work around these areas if I have to until they dry up a bit later in the summer.

I'm looking at trading in my 2012, 3320 John Deere tractor for a skid steer of some sort and I ran across this ASV. I read a few reviews and they were not positive sounding. It sounded like ASV had a few issues with their under carriage compared to other brands.

I may end up leaning towards an SS model and then get some tracks for it. I like the idea of still being able to use tire chains for the winter and the much less expense for repairs. Tires are much cheaper than under carriage parts and tracks.

/ ASV RC100 questions #7  
As far as "muddy, semi swampy terrain".......None of them are a substitute for an air boat, and all of them will get stuck in a swampy area if the operator isn't very careful about where he goes and what he does. Even then he may get stuck. :laughing:

LOL! True dat!:thumbsup:

/ ASV RC100 questions #8  
My ASV 4810 has more traction in snow and ice than my 940 Allis 3 yard wheel loader with brand new tires on it
Its amazing what it can push with my 10 feet wide snow blade.
And yes UC parts are pricy but if you put only 100-200 hr a year on it i would not worry provided it is in good shape to start with,..it may outlast you yet.

On the other hand you might be better of to get a tractor or better yet a compact articulated loader cause these CTl's and SS's are a PITA to get in and out.

/ ASV RC100 questions #9  
It's a good powerful machine, but UC overhaul is expensive. I budget $11/hour to my "track fund". A 2005 machine will have it's share of hidden problems. ASV was not owned by Terex back then. Engine work is especially difficult, there's almost no room around the motor. This is a great forum for diagnosing problems, a lot of ASV experience hangs out here.

If problems start, get the arms up in the air quick. The cab can't be lifted when the arms are down. Battery and servos are under the seat/cab. A big problem is a large electrical connector under the cab to the frame. Bad connections and water damage can cause havoc everywhere. 2005 had recalls for broken axles. 3/4 bolts hold the axles and can vibrate loose.

The rear engine mount bolts are tapped into the engine oil pan. If one comes out, you'll lose the engine oil in a hurry and the "replace engine" light will come on.

The machine only has idiot lights, no instrumentation.

IMG_0929.jpg

/ ASV RC100 questions #10  
Andy, have a look at the Trackgrip lugs that clamp onto the ASV tracks, they may be of some help, good for some Cat CTL's as well

Thanks Tony, I'll check them out. :thumbsup: