Asphalt Repair

/ Asphalt Repair #1  

Roadworthy

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST,
I live on an old lake bed, it was a lake about 14,000 years ago. I have an asphalt driveway. A bed of gravel was laid then run over with a vibrator roller and again a week later. It's settling anyhow and the asphalt is cracking. I suspect melted tar poured into the cracks is the proper way to seal it but I'm certainly up for other suggestions. If tar is the correct fix where does one get it and find an inexpensive heater? Or does one hire it done? Any suggestions appreciated.

/ Asphalt Repair #2  
Absolutely this is a DIY job. The length of the driveway and the contractor charge to fill the cracks, will determine if you can justify the equipment. You can be sure you'll do a better job than the contractor.
1. Wait several days after it has rained for the driveway to be thoroughly dry.
2. Use a leaf blower (or better yet, an air compressor with air gun), and blow out the fines that have settled into the cracks.
3. A mail order source for materials is Asphalt Crack Repair | Asphalt Sealcoating Direct
you may also find materials at Arrow Concrete and Asphalt Specialties in Spokane, WA

/ Asphalt Repair #3  
also, it depends on the size of the cracks, one could buy cold mix and heat it up, put it in the cracks if they are bigger than an inch id say, then put tar on top.

/ Asphalt Repair #4  
Be careful when heating tar lots of stories of tar pot blowing up. There are lots of good products for filling cracks with a pour out of bottle cold filler that work very well. Like stated before you have to match the size of crack with the patch product. Larger cracks and potholes can be done with a bag of cold patch filler. A tiger torch and a tamper are also helpful to loosen the cold patch to flow better into voids. 🍻

/ Asphalt Repair #5  
I posted a similar query a while back. I was referred to a hot-applied product sold at Lowes that I tried and had success with.

The original thread is here:

The product is:

QPR 50-lb Asphalt Patch​

Item #95025
Model #LLF08

It's a bit of a pain to apply because you have to heat it up to melt it, then get it into an applicator to apply. I use a turkey fryer style propane burner with a metal pail to melt it and purchased a manual applicator from one of the asphalt repair sites. Both work great, other than having to use a weed burner to keep the outlet flowing on the applicator as it cools while I move from one section to another.

The product does a really good job to fill the cracks. However, living in MN, we do get temperature cycles that are enough to exceed the flexibility of the product and the cracks do re-open in the coldest winter weather at least for the lateral cracks on my very long driveway. The longitudinal ones aren't as affected, likely due to the narrow (11' width) not needing to move as much as the length does. The product goes a long way too... I purchased 3 blocks originally and after 3 seasons of applying I haven't yet gone through the first 50# block.

If anyone knows of a self-heated applicator let me know... That would make things a lot simpler for me. Obviously I don't want to spend a grand on it since it is a DIY situation...

Rob

/ Asphalt Repair
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Since the driveway is only a couple years old I'll get the contractor out here to take a look. I do think it's additional settling and compacting of the underlying lakebed causing the problem, though.

/ Asphalt Repair #7  
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Since the driveway is only a couple years old I'll get the contractor out here to take a look. I do think it's additional settling and compacting of the underlying lakebed causing the problem, though.
I suspect you are correct in the driveway still settling being the reason the asphalt is cracking.