Asbestos Siding

/ Asbestos Siding #1  

JDGREEN4ME

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, GT 225, GT 275
We are looking at a home with 60's vintage siding. Is it possible to put vinyl siding over this or would we need to have it removed first? I know it could be painted but that isn't what we would like to do.

/ Asbestos Siding #2  
We are looking at a home with 60's vintage siding. Is it possible to put vinyl siding over this or would we need to have it removed first? I know it could be painted but that isn't what we would like to do.

I believe the existing regulations require you to only take remedial measures if you disturb the Asbestos siding....so just siding over it with Vinyl should be just fine...Same thing with lead paint...if you disturb it ...by sanding etc. then you open up a whole set of regs....but if you just paint over it ...with kilz and a latex paint...then no problem...Just my opinion...I have a tenant house with asbestos siding and I looked into it here once.

/ Asbestos Siding #3  
Does it look like flat slate plates with textured lines up & down and each piece is about 8 inches wide and 1/8 inch thick? If so, I doubt you can put a nail through it without it breaking. The only thing to do is remove it and take it to a haz-mat dump.

/ Asbestos Siding #4  
Check with your local building authorities...in FL you can cover it with vinyl siding...there are different regulations about how the furring is to be attached...removing or disturbing it is whole other can of worms...i.e., requires special permits and must be done by licensed professionals...there is also the issue of disposal fees etc...

FWIW...for repairing damaged tiles they make non-asbestos tiles that match most textures of the old asbestos tiles...

/ Asbestos Siding #5  
Does it look like flat slate plates with textured lines up & down and each piece is about 8 inches wide and 1/8 inch thick? If so, I doubt you can put a nail through it without it breaking. The only thing to do is remove it and take it to a haz-mat dump.

Makes sense...I have never tried nailing though one of the slate plates that look like what you described...but I know this...JD better check with his county on proper Asbestos removal and with the EPA...there are huge penalties and fines for doing it wrong....You also need protective clothing and suits and I don't even think an individual is allowed to remove the Asbestos...it takes a certified crew...very expensive....Be careful JD...Asbestos is dangerous when it becomes dust and if you start pulling the tiles off the house you will have lots of dust and it can kill you....

/ Asbestos Siding #6  

It is amazing what we go thru to dispose of this now , which is a good thing , but in the 50's when my parents house was built they cut the shingles with a skill saw with dust flying everywhere, no mask or anything. I remember as a kid gathering the scrap by the arm load (bare arms) to throw away. Back then no one knew it was dangerous ,I guess I'm lucky to have survived it and lived this long .

/ Asbestos Siding #7  
In most places you can "encapsulate" the asbestos and not have to remove it. This can include just painting it which bonds the asbestos and eliminates dusting.

/ Asbestos Siding #8  
A friend's house had all sort of cracked and broken tiles on one wall. I helped someone strip the one wall and then replace the broken ones on the other wall. To cut them we used a cement blade and water running on it. That was back in the 80's in rural Texas. No one gave a crap back then.

Taking them off they will have one-three nails holding them on. Taking them off should be fairly straight-forward. Just wear good small micron dust masks, good solid gloves, and eye protection wouldn't hurt. If anyone says anything as you take them off just claim ignorance. Getting rid of them will be a different issue. But you can't just put siding on top of it. The nail holes would have to be drilled using a cement bit beforehand.

/ Asbestos Siding #9  
Makes sense...I have never tried nailing though one of the slate plates that look like what you described...but I know this...JD better check with his county on proper Asbestos removal and with the EPA...there are huge penalties and fines for doing it wrong....You also need protective clothing and suits and I don't even think an individual is allowed to remove the Asbestos...it takes a certified crew...very expensive....Be careful JD...Asbestos is dangerous when it becomes dust and if you start pulling the tiles off the house you will have lots of dust and it can kill you....

Here's a link to Indiana's regs on asbestos.
IDEM: Asbestos

Here's a tidbit from the link:
All facilities (except residential buildings that have four (4) or fewer dwelling units) must be inspected by an Indiana licensed asbestos inspector prior to the commencement of demolition or renovation activities. Even if no asbestos is present in the facility, proper notification of demolition or renovation activity requirements must still be followed. Homeowners are exempt from notification and removal requirements but not all disposal requirements. Those working to remove asbestos must be licensed to work in Indiana.

So, private homeowners are not required to get inspections for demo or reno work, and are exempt from removal requirements.... but not all disposal requirements. If you get paid for the work, you have to be licensed.

I find asbestos particulary interesting, as I was born in a house made of Cemesto panels( Cemesto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), that my dad built. He was an architect and Cemesto was an interesting way to build low-cost housing. We lived in an ongoing Frank Lloyd Wright inspired ongoing architectual experiment and construction lab! These images are very similar to what the inside and outside of our house looked like. https://www.google.com/search?q=Ray...C0yAS_hoDABg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=773

Anyhow, we had stacks of Cemesto panels that were left over from the construction and played with them as kids. Unfortunately, we cut them up with hand and circular saws, making forts, structures, etc... and God only knows how much dust we breathed in as kids.... so if I croak from lung cancer, my guess is the Cemesto panels.

/ Asbestos Siding #10  
Other than a "dated" look, the old asbestos siding is good stuff. Paints well and is very durable. IMHO it is no better of worse than the new fiber cement fad that were into now, in fact I believe its less prone to water damage than f/c. Vinyl can be installed directly over the asbestos but you might want to take this opportunity to insulate with some ridged foam at this point. 60 years ago insulation was not high on the priority list. If the existing siding is "shadowed" by installing it on a lath strip (for a bigger shadow), you should at least install the 1/4" fan fold insulation to sort of hold the asbestos in place as it will crack (when shadowed) with the new nails from the vinyl, and pieces will fall down, not far but enough to show a bulge in the vinyl. I understand that this type of asbestos is NOT the pipe insulation that all the lawyers are chasing down victims of and it was taken by the landfill 'bout 10 years ago without any problems. This may have changed by now.
Depending on your wall insulation, think about 3/4 or an inch of foam (not the coffee cup stuff) if you can without creating trim or water problems.