Are you ready for the winter? Let's see your firewood stack!

/ Are you ready for the winter? Let's see your firewood stack! #21  
Here you go.

2020 Wood 1.jpg

2020 Wood 2.jpg

/ Are you ready for the winter? Let's see your firewood stack! #22  
A pic from the front of the house where I stack some before bringing it in for burning. The second is my wood pile, a big concrete pad that used to be a large dog kennel. It’s stacked in odd piles but maybe 2 chords. For me I use a fireplace for supplemental heat and something to keep busy in the winter.
IMG_1783.jpeg
IMG_1340.jpeg

/ Are you ready for the winter? Let's see your firewood stack!
This works well for me. I harvest logs as long as possible in the woods. Usually 20 to 30 ft. in length. Then they are cut to length right at the log splitter. I split and load into totes. The totes are them moved with a forklift. Each tote is good for about two weeks of heat. Should be good to go this year
Here you go.
I really like the tote method y'all have there!

/ Are you ready for the winter? Let's see your firewood stack! #24  
Pretty well set for the next 2-3 years...

Attachments

• firewood.JPG
    firewood.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
  • firewood1.JPG
    firewood1.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 49
  • Firewood4.JPG
    Firewood4.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 48
   / Are you ready for the winter? Let's see your firewood stack! #26  
A red oak fell in one of my fields,, my neighbor is splitting it up for firewood,,
It is 30 inches in diameter, 30 feet "up", just before the fork.

How many winters of firewood do you think it will produce?
My neighbor has cut up the "branches", and he thinks he has more than a years worth out of the branches,,

I cut the main log, and one of the branches into ~22 inch long blocks with the Stihl 660,,,,,
and only used ONE TANK OF FUEL!! :eek:

How long would you heat your home with a tree this size??

OAK.jpg
OAK2.jpg

/ Are you ready for the winter? Let's see your firewood stack! #27  
I did save a piece of a branch,, I plan on cutting some "cribbing" blocks out of it.
I do have a brand new ripping chain for the Stihl 660, I have always wanted to try it.

My SIL bought a couple "board cutting attachments" for a chainsaw, but, never tried them,,
Log Lift.jpg

/ Are you ready for the winter? Let's see your firewood stack!
I did save a piece of a branch,, I plan on cutting some "cribbing" blocks out of it.
I do have a brand new ripping chain for the Stihl 660, I have always wanted to try it.

My SIL bought a couple "board cutting attachments" for a chainsaw, but, never tried them,,View attachment 826175
I ripped a post out of a small pine sapling with a semi chisel chain last week....worked ok..no attachments...just freehanded it...full ripping and attachments should be no problem..just don't get in a hurry with it ..let the saw do the work..

/ Are you ready for the winter? Let's see your firewood stack! #29  
I ripped a post out of a small pine sapling with a semi chisel chain last week....worked ok..no attachments...just freehanded it...full ripping and attachments should be no problem..just don't get in a hurry with it ..let the saw do the work..
The MS660 AMAZED me cross cutting that large diameter log,,
I literally held the grip, and only rested my hand on the other handle,,

The saw cut right through the oak by itself,,
I had just sharpened the saw,, and I had dropped the drags,,

/ Are you ready for the winter? Let's see your firewood stack! #30  
I did see a YouTube video of a guy free-handing a board cut with a chainsaw,,

The difference was he stood the log up, and cut straight down!!
It seemed to be much easier than going along horizontally,