Are you ready for Christmas?

/ Are you ready for Christmas? #31  
Even as a child I disliked christmas. As I got older it became the most hateful thing to me. After I got married I softened a bit through the years then a couple years ago my wife and I sat on the living room floor with our dogs head on my lap as she died on christmas day. So, yay, I am ready for Mayday.
I hope I don't sound callous by asking which one of them died?

/ Are you ready for Christmas? #33  
We've had some tragedies and triumphs over the holidays. Some relatives have passed away on Christmas Eve and near Thanksgiving. Some were also born on or near those days. I try and think of things happening on a certain day as just a 1 in 365 chance and don't let it upset me.

We just went out to the cemetery and changed out the fall decorations for winter/Christmas on my father in-law's grave this morning. It was cold, windy, nobody was there, and without thinking I said to my wife it's pretty dead out here.... oops. She laughed hard. He would have, too. :)

/ Are you ready for Christmas? #34  
I have done a little bit of shopping this year but as usual I am behind. It has been a long year and everything is much more expensive. I am getting my children a lot of little small items and thinking about getting one big thing like a basketball hoop/trampoline or something similar as the big gift for all of them to share. What are your plans?
Christmas is not about gifts.

Need to put things in perspective for the "season", even if you don't believe in Jesus Christ.

/ Are you ready for Christmas? #35  
Isn't it nice when the "holiday" is over with? Then we can enjoy a nice calm and quiet January. (y)

/ Are you ready for Christmas?
Christmas is not about gifts.

Need to put things in perspective for the "season", even if you don't believe in Jesus Christ.
I think you took my post the wrong way. I am a Christian and Jesus actual birthday is not December 25. No one knows when it was but it was not during winter and the Bible does not say. I just started the post to see what everyone was planning on for the holidays. I understand what the "season" is.

/ Are you ready for Christmas? #37  
I think you took my post the wrong way. I am a Christian and Jesus actual birthday is not December 25. No one knows when it was but it was not during winter and the Bible does not say. I just started the post to see what everyone was planning on for the holidays. I understand what the "season" is.
Apologies.

Everyone knows Christmas day is January 7th;)

/ Are you ready for Christmas? #38  
Reading through this makes me realize two things. 1. Everyone has a different definition of "ready for Christmas", and 2. We are not as abnormal as I thought regarding Christmas. Wife and I have not exchanged Christmas gifts in, can't remember the last time. We feel the same way about it. We see too many people making it about gifts and losing the joy of it in the process. We do buy for the grandkids, that is fun. I'm not saying that those of you who buy gifts don't enjoy it or celebrate it right. I'm just saying that isn't for us any longer.

For our grown kids, they always get something practical. Last year was a natural gas wall heater for backup heat and a new gas stove/oven. This year it was a side of beef to split between my two sons and tires for one of their cars. They are very appreciative and it is my way of helping them. When we do it we say, this is your Christmas gift and they are good with that. It is always me who observes what they need and says, lets buy the boys this this year, wife always agrees. Then my wife has to buy them something small to open, her gig not mine.

Glad to see we are not alone in our method of Christmas. I've often thought about sending out a Christmas letter, like so many families do. Mine would be more real, if I were to re-play my last 5 years in the letter, it would read more like a sad country song (with a good ending) than all the wonderful things that have happened in the past year that everyone tells you in their letter. It is about like looking at some people's FB page, everything wonderful. I'm very thankful where things have led my family, God has been better to us/me than deserved. I don't take it for granted one bit.

Have a great Christmas to all of you, glad to see other real people on this site.

Last edited:
   / Are you ready for Christmas? #39  
I'll add that if I didn't put that messenger string on the light strings, there's a good chance of breaking the wires. The string takes the brunt of the force now. Works great.
I used the bow and arrow method a few years ago, on a 30 foot tree which my father planted on the site of the family homestead after having it torn down. I had to use solar lights, and they turned out to be flimsy and cheap. Now the tree has bits and pieces of tree lights in it.
When my mother is done with the property I may see if the city wants it for their annual tree, it’s a nice balsam fir which is now about 30 feet tall.