Are You A Gambler?

/ Are You A Gambler? #41  
Iron Planet auction has about 20 brand new Kubotas being auctioned off. All listed as "sustained flood damage March 10". They are all still in their crates. No ideas of high the water got on them or what.
Would you take a chance?
Nope. Long term you could end up with a bunch of problems.

/ Are You A Gambler? #42  
Not without a very significant cost savings. I mean, near scrap value. A tractor can take a lot of water and be fine; but I wouldn't want to be chasing electric gremlins for a decade. I would also closely inspect everything. I wonder what kind of 'rehab' they did after the flood? Also, being in crates probably makes it worse, as they were lower than with wheel, and the crate trapped moisture/water. I would certainly want to build in enough cost savings to have an entire wire harness (that's a lot of money by itself), and maybe pull head to make sure the valves are salt water rust welded...

If we are talking $5k for a $35,000 machine; you probably could part it out and make money; but if we are at 50% original price, I would Run away
I agree with everything paulsharvey said, and especially if the flood-damaged tractor has a hydrostatic transmission. There are so many little parts inside a hydrostatic transmission that would make it an almost impossible task to put it back into like-new condition, unless you are a transmission repair tech. I think a shuttle shift transmission would be something the average barn mechanic could handle, however. The electrical system and wiring would be a challenge, as well, requiring disassembly, cleaning and inspection of every interconnection and wire connection pin in the harness. Anything that isn't sealed and water tight cannot be overlooked.

/ Are You A Gambler? #43  
Manufactures also likely blacklist the totaled/written off vehicles and tractors. So, the warranty is most likely voided. So, even if a problem is only remotely related to the flood, it may not have any warranty support. You should still get parts, but all service is at buyer expense.

/ Are You A Gambler? #44  
Manufactures also likely blacklist the totaled/written off vehicles and tractors. So, the warranty is most likely voided. So, even if a problem is only remotely related to the flood, it may not have any warranty support. You should still get parts, but all service is at buyer expense.
I'm sure the warranty is 100% void. I would Not have paid $17k for a $35k machine, with no wheels, and all that. Maybe the purchaser did a detailed inspection, and had a way to know there wasn't a major issue? I just don't like the risk; $17k is a major hit; kinda too big to not spend to fix; but also not enough savings to pay for major repairs.

/ Are You A Gambler?
I'm sure the warranty is 100% void. I would Not have paid $17k for a $35k machine, with no wheels, and all that. Maybe the purchaser did a detailed inspection, and had a way to know there wasn't a major issue? I just don't like the risk; $17k is a major hit; kinda too big to not spend to fix; but also not enough savings to pay for major repairs.
I did not follow the auctions. Did these sell for $17,000 each?

/ Are You A Gambler? #48  
Wow, now that was interesting. Shows how well sealed things are on a new build machine too.

/ Are You A Gambler? #49  
I would have expected the hydraulic system to be better sealed. Lots of water came out of there ...
Fuel and engine oil looked good.

/ Are You A Gambler? #50  
That's pretty much what I had expected.

If I had a need for another tractor I would've bought one of them, but a larger model. And drained and refilled all fluids (front axle, too) before starting the engine.