Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now?

/ Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now?
If buying with selling it is of strong concern, WATCH THE BRAND in any product. Certain brands of knifes can increase in value and others worth nothing but a better quality product. In collecting brand name is very important.

Yes, absolutely brand and condition are critical when trying to buy to resell. I stick with Landpride, bushhog or JD implements. They have to look good too.

/ Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now? #32  
We are not cash heavy. We went all in on land. tools and livestock. Very few will walk away from their house with new homes at 10% interest and average rent payments of $1200. Good luck competing against global investment firms like Blackrock for deals on homes, most will never even hit the market. We have 10+ million, and growing daily, new immigrants that need housing which these investment firms will gladly supply. What I see coming is a trailer park garage sale on a nation wide scale. I dont need a crockpot or old television rabbit ears. One thing I do see coming a flash of auto repos. Which I guess could be ok if thats what you like. I personally have no interest in any vehicle made in the last 20 years. Very very few people have anything I want or need.

For those who have repeatedly said it's not an investment. Sorry but you are all wrong. Any asset that is purchased for any purpose by individual or business, IS an investment. Do I also need to explain what an investment is?

1691630214783.png

/ Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now? #35  
For those who have repeatedly said it's not an investment. Sorry but you are all wrong. Any asset that is purchased for any purpose by individual or business, IS an investment. Do I also need to explain what an investment is?
No need to, Jeff explained it above

No need to, Jeff explained it above
Thus the reason I said you are all wrong, regarding a tractor not being an investment.

I do appreciate the guys who understood my question and answered it honestly.

Last edited:
   / Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now? #37  
Thus the reason I said you are all wrong, regarding a tractor not being an investment.

Our criteria for acquiring any investment asset is a minimum 20% ROI on a 3 year hold after capital gain taxes (estimated at 34%) and carry costs. No piece of depreciating equipment or tractor will ever meet that. For example, The BRKA we bought starting in 1974 and dollar cost averaged each year since then does. That’s been our best investment ever.

/ Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now? #38  

Yours may be an investment, mine is just a tractor. I didn't buy it to make a profit of any kind. It's just to enjoy.
rScotty

/ Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now? #39  
That 'siren song' of cheap offshore goods and Americans penchant for buying them will be the ultimate downfall of this economy.

I always say that 'the only thing made here today is babies and those are delivered with Chinese made surgical tools'

And, in the 70's, everyone was b$%^@ing about Japan and Singapore, then it was Taiwan, followed by Korea.

In a few years it will be Vietnam. In the long run, it will move to African countries.

/ Are tractors and equipment a good investment right now? #40  
I did a few weeks ago exactly what you are doing or wanting to do. I picked up a 2011 Case 40 for about $4k less than what others are going for. I didn't finance, nor would I finance a used tractor. I hope to retire from my regular job in about 8 years and intend to a add this one to my already established tractor work side gig and possibly expand a little. And yes, tractors and implements ARE an investment.