Are these 2 lots the same "acreage"?

/ Are these 2 lots the same "acreage"? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
Living here in FL, where it's pretty flat, I don't know the answer to this: Are the two lots pictured the same "acreage"?

The one on the left is clearly 1 acre (208.71' x 208.71' = 43,560 square feet = 1 acre).

However, the one on the right is 1 acre when measured in the horizontal plane, but 2 acres when measured along the actual slope of the lot.

So, what's the "acreage" of the lot on the right?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Acreage on a slope.JPG
    Acreage on a slope.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 807
   / Are these 2 lots the same "acreage"? #2  
I know this will be bad of me, but from what i remember in school (im a forester) im thinking you use flat ground distance? Meaning that land in the moutains actually has more of it due to slope. I may be wrong though. But i was thinking this came up at one point in forest measurements. You are supposed to still measure your same ground distance regardless of slope. Meaning if you need to go 2 chains (1 chain = 66ft) between sample points you still go 2 chains on flat vs slope. But we count trees and you want to be accurate, we also will measure on the slope for acerage as it will matter, the courthouse, i dunno. Id like to hear someone who knows as now im curious. I do know that the correct way to cruise timber in the hills is that you have to figure our the straight line distance to a tree using geometry if it is close to a border line tree vs using the ground distance. Luckily i do most of my stuff in the piedmont and the hills are not generally that steep and therefore i dont obsere this rule so technically it should even out?

/ Are these 2 lots the same "acreage"? #3  
By convention, land area is measured on a two-dimensional common surface plane projected onto the ground. IOW, keep your measuring tape level.

/ Are these 2 lots the same "acreage"? #4  
So, what's the "acreage" of the lot on the right?

One acre.

My dad always joked that you got a better buy when you bought steep ground because it has more "acres". :)

Real question is do you need the ROPS up to travel across that grade. :laughing:

/ Are these 2 lots the same "acreage"? #5  
As a land surveyor, ground is always measured horizontal, assuming it is flat.

/ Are these 2 lots the same "acreage"? #7  
I was always wondering if there was a difference, now I know!

/ Are these 2 lots the same "acreage"?
Thanks for the responses.

... My dad always joked that you got a better buy when you bought steep ground because it has more "acres". :) ...

Dang! I'm going back home to east Tennessee and buy land!...

Well, I guess the steeper the slope of the land, the more surface area you get (even though the "acreage" isn't more), but the harder it is to make it use of it.

/ Are these 2 lots the same "acreage"? #9  
One-tenth acre with 20 acres of surface. Would loaded rear tires help?

:)

Bruce

/ Are these 2 lots the same "acreage"? #10