Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
I have a Buhler (Farm King) 5ft rear discharge Finish Mower and I attempted to take the three blades off to sharpen them , but found no way to hold the blade shaft while undoing the large bolt holding blade. The Operators Parts Manual is no help , although it has great blowups and parts lists, and tons of safety warnings. So my questions are what tricks can be used to hold the shaft of each of the blades so I can get them off. I saw no holes thru deck to run a shaft down to hold blade, I tried putting a rod thru the drive shaft , but the blade just turns on the pully due to the belt tension allowing it to slip somewhat.
Also is this blade bolt typically normal thread or is it reverse thread (the parts sheet does not even tell me that it just states it is a 5/8 x 1 1/4 Gr 8 bolt supplied with spindle)

Any thoughts? For now I sharpened the blades with them on the mower , but that does not do a very good job.

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #2  
I don't know if it would work for you, but clamping a block of wood to the inside of the deck works for me when I remove the blades of my ZTR.

Steve

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #3  
I use an impact wrench, in short bursts to remove the ones from my Woods. There is a tool that came with it to hold the spindles from the top. The belt guard needs to be removed, so as to use it. But, you also pretty much need to be a contortionist to use it. I found the impact works the best, and no need to hold the spindle.

The threads are LH on mine. Might be worth calling, or sending an email to Buhler and ask. The bolts also are of the Ny-Loc type, with an approx. 3/16" hole drilled in it near the end, and a nylon insert in it to keep the bolt from backing out.

I also snug the blades with the impact, but just set on the #2 setting, of 5. Nice & snug, but not overtightened.

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #4  
I also use the impact. The block of wood idea works, too. Good luck.

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #5  
Use an impact wrench. My cordless impact wrench is the best thing since sliced bread. I can remove all 3 blades in about 45 seconds.

Last edited:
   / Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #6  
Impacts are the way to go. My lawn guy was completely confused how to get the blade off this brush cutter attachment I have for my Husky trimmer yesterday, spend 2 hours while I was gone trying to stop the blade from turning. Took 2 seconds with the impact!

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #7  
Impacts are the way to go. My lawn guy was completely confused how to get the blade off this brush cutter attachment I have for my Husky trimmer yesterday, spend 2 hours while I was gone trying to stop the blade from turning. Took 2 seconds with the impact!
Isn't there a hole in the trimmer head to stick a nail in?

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #8  
Isn't there a hole in the trimmer head to stick a nail in?

Not sure about a hole but I don't believe so, but he attempted to brace it with a piece of wood first... no go. When I got back I first put the blade in a vice and still couldn't get it to turn with a wrench. 3 seconds on the impact.

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #9  
My old Land Pride RFM required me to lock the top of the spindle down with a large box wrench. I think it was 1-3/16" perhaps. At least they gave you access to it. That and an impact wrench worked really well. As others have suggested a block of wood will work too.

/ Are there tricks to taking blades off Finish Mower #10  
Not sure about a hole but I don't believe so, but he attempted to brace it with a piece of wood first... no go. When I got back I first put the blade in a vice and still couldn't get it to turn with a wrench. 3 seconds on the impact.
All of my trimmers have a hole in the head that you can stick a pin through to lock the head. I'm betting yours do too.

image-3991219664.jpg