Are there any good veterinarians anymore?

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #31  
We have a good vet. He's the guy that will say, well we could run the scan / test /ETC to see if it's this or that - but the treatment is the same. Something he doesn't have, he'll call it in to Chewy or something and we order it rather than dance around going back and forth.
He also told us that there is a lot of pressure for these vet offices to turn X amount a year if they are interested to get bought out, give the vet a big pay out - keep them on for a couple years and their retirement is done. MM / Mars was a player in this.

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #32  
Growing up pets, mostly dogs and cats, were part of the household. They were taken care of but usually had a function, mousing, guarding...
Now they are "Fur Family."
People have taken pets to an extreme. At my age I'm seeing people take better care of their pets than they did of their kids in the day.
Going for rides with doggy on their laps, being insulted by restaurants that don't allow pets ...
The new vets are just taking advantage of this new reality.
Forget old common sense.

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #33  
Old school vets are retiring, and the field has become, for better or worse, tech savvy. A high tech vet used to have an X-ray machine. Now they have MRI's, CT Scanners etc, and these machines cost big bucks. Most vets around me won't do major surgery. Last year one of our dogs swallowed a rock and our vet sent us to Piper Memorial, CT's premier emergency vet. Beautiful facility with around 50 vets on staff. The choice was $8000 to remove the rock from his intestine or put him down. I'm now looking at insurance which is about $30 a month for my 4 year old dog. I know I can't afford another surgery!

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #34  
Old school vets are retiring, and the field has become, for better or worse, tech savvy. A high tech vet used to have an X-ray machine. Now they have MRI's, CT Scanners etc, and these machines cost big bucks. Most vets around me won't do major surgery. Last year one of our dogs swallowed a rock and our vet sent us to Piper Memorial, CT's premier emergency vet. Beautiful facility with around 50 vets on staff. The choice was $8000 to remove the rock from his intestine or put him down. I'm now looking at insurance which is about $30 a month for my 4 year old dog. I know I can't afford another surgery!
Funny you mention that.... we have a $7.5K cat. :rolleyes:

She ate the rubber end off of a handle on a swishy toy, and it got lodged in her small intestine. $4K in diagnostics, surgery, and 2-3 days recovery care. A year later she did it again, only it was the rubber handle from a cat hair brush. I told them to skip the diagnostic that didn't find it last time, and start with the one that did find it. Saved about $500 on that one.

At this point, I'd like to see them just install a zipper on the cat.

We are fortunate to be able to afford this kind of surgery for a pet. A lot of folks can't.

For regular vet care, and minor medical, we take our pets to a local vet where one of our kids worked for about 5 years in high school and college. Good folks. However, for emergency surgery, they refer us to a 24/7 emergency pet hospital over in Westville, IN, about 40 minutes away. Good folks there, too.

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #35  
Our old vet (full of common sense) retired about 3 yrs ago and one of the young fellows bought it. He had worked in the practice since he was 16 yrs old). The old staff have also all retired and the few younger lady vets only stay for a few yrs before moving on To start there own families. The practice is winding down and will close at the end of the month. Not sure what we will do then. Our old boy is 14 and I am surprised he made it through the winter. Cam

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #36  
One good thing about my new vet... he loves labs. He also seems to understand that people don't have unlimited funds. One thing he told me; at least some of what people have attributed to bad hips in labs actually is degenerative nerve damage.

I'm still waiting for somebody to develop a cure for "selective hearing" though... How can an animal not hear you when he is right next to you; yet wake up from a dead sleep when you take a package of cheese of the refrigerator 2 rooms away? :confused:

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #37  
Our local vets office is great. Very compassionate and realistic as far as treatments go. Minus the guilt trip.They inadvertently reduced my wife and I to tears when we had our first pooch put down there.

About a week after we had our pooch put down we recieved a package from the vets office. Inside the package was a set of paw prints from our pooch in a frame with a really sweet poem.

Local 24hr emergency clinic is all about the money. They are horrible. Pretty free with the guilt trips and expensive procedures.

Won't even look at the animal without payment info

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #38  
That may be my fault. I walked out on one of those a few years ago. My local vet referred me to the clinic for an ultrasound test. Got there, they took me and my dog into the back and someone shows up to look at my dog. Then says I have to wait for the vet. Vet comes in to examine my dog saying the referral wasn’t good enough, they have to start from scratch. I looked at the dog and said time to go and he jumped off the table. As we are leaving, shes screaming at me about paying my bill. My reply, you didn’t do anything to earn payment. I’ll sue she says, I said “ good luck with that :poop:, your crack staff never got my information.”
Local 24hr emergency clinic is all about the money. They are horrible. Pretty free with the guilt trips and expensive procedures.
Yes, never again

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #39  
Our local vets office is great. Very compassionate and realistic as far as treatments go. Minus the guilt trip.They inadvertently reduced my wife and I to tears when we had our first pooch put down there.

About a week after we had our pooch put down we recieved a package from the vets office. Inside the package was a set of paw prints from our pooch in a frame with a really sweet poem.

The emergency vet we use is very up front about costs. They are also very compassionate.

However, the reality is, emergency treatment is going to be expensive. They have to let us know that reality and make sure we understand that before we agree to it.

How to combine the pet's situation, the mental place where the owner is, and the reality of finances compassionately has got to be extremely difficult.

/ Are there any good veterinarians anymore? #40  
Funny you mention that.... we have a $7.5K cat. :rolleyes:

She ate the rubber end off of a handle on a swishy toy, and it got lodged in her small intestine. $4K in diagnostics, surgery, and 2-3 days recovery care. A year later she did it again, only it was the rubber handle from a cat hair brush. I told them to skip the diagnostic that didn't find it last time, and start with the one that did find it. Saved about $500 on that one.

At this point, I'd like to see them just install a zipper on the cat.
I've wondered about the zipper too!

I'm still trying to figure out how they can spay or neuter a dog for a few hundred bucks, but getting something out of their digestive tract is $8000.