Are PT parts basically generic?

/ Are PT parts basically generic? #1  

wasabi

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT2445 and PT1850
I'm curious about this for practical and economic reasons. My impression is that most, if not all, PT parts are essentially "off the shelf" items and can therefore be fairly easily replaced. (warranty is not an issue for me).

For example, I'm facing replacement or re-build of a significant sized hydraulic cylinder for the backhoe (3" shaft, 6" Dia, 24" length double-acting). I looks to me like I could just order a Chief or such of the same specs?

Since PT service is closed til next week, I can't confirm my pricing impression, but based on filters and stuff I have bought so far, I doubt there will be any question that I can get most items cheaper elsewhere. So far I'm just getting ideas by perusing the Surplus Center catalogue, which sure stimulates my thinking.

Suggestions, thoughts or parts source ideas appreciated.

/ Are PT parts basically generic? #2  
Doug:
I've forgotten which contact it was, but somewhere along the line one of the people at PT made the point to me that everything on the machine could be serviced and replaced with generic stuff, except the clearly proprietary design bits like the frame tubs and the linkages. Cylinders should be easy. All you need to match are size and travel and make sure it can take the top pressure your system is set for.

/ Are PT parts basically generic? #3  
Great question. I don't know about your particular case with the backhoe cylinder, but I know that hoses can be easily made up by Carquest, and that a Primeline starter solenoid from Carquest spec'd for Bolens/Bobcat works fine on my PT1418. I'd suspect you're right, although the only catch might be the sizes of the linkages (ie. the eye hooks) on the cylinder. Let us know what you find!

It would be fantastic if we had some area where we could build a "database" of PT parts and corresponding "generic" parts/sources. Does TBN have any features like that? (I'm thinking back to Yahoo's database tables feature in groups, although I'm not much of a fan of all the advertisement you get pounded with...)

Dave

/ Are PT parts basically generic? #4  
That parts idea sounds great. I have the programming expertise and some spare bandwith on my hosted server to do this. If you give me some idea of what you are looking for I could whip something up... /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Are PT parts basically generic? #5  
concur with Charlie, think that even the motor on the stump grinder could have been found but since it was on warranty i had pt send me a replacement.
the few hoses we so far had to change i have commercial outlets that make them for me to specs or above spec (grappler opening and closing hoses).
my kubota tractor and mower dealer look at the machine in great detail and said that other (as Charlie stated [proprietary} parts) he can provide me with pretty much anything else and the hoses defenetly less expensive.
Deadstick's idea of a database is great ...

/ Are PT parts basically generic? #6  
Hey Deadstick:

I'm not sure you actually need to write something to do this. There's probably Perl scripts out there that either already do it, or can be easily adapted (like a guestbook script, for instance). There is already a Yahoo group for Power-trac's (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powertrac/) and it already has the database feature. If folks in general aren't opposed, I could easily setup a table on that group for us to record this information. So, I guess there's 3 possibilities:

1) Setup a table in the existing Yahoo Power-trac group to record this info (simple and easy, however, it's a seperate site and Yahoo pounds you with advertisements, which is bearable though). This is a really simple task, and I could do it in maybe 30 minutes or so.

2) Find/adapt a simple Perl script to provide this functionality. (I see that TBN is already run by Perl scripts, so that should be simple to integrate. We could simply ask Muhammed if he'd consider it.)

3) Find/adapt a simple Perl script and ask Deadstick if he'll host it.

For simplicity's sake, I think I'd prefer option #2, as TBN is where we gather anyway. Could we get a show of votes on what everyone else thinks or would prefer?

Dave

/ Are PT parts basically generic?
I'm impressed with the programming firepower evident here.

I'm about numb to advertising, tho I'll admit I find the new Deere drop down ads here on TBN are odd enough to be intriging once and then irritating...

as for the database solution, I'm for whatever works for you guys to sort out,...personally, I'd play that chip with Mohammad and crew if feasible, ...

I'm even more thoroughly impressed that you both step to the plate so willingly. Thanks....count me in for ferreting out parts sources and relating actual case history.

/ Are PT parts basically generic?
<font color=blue>i have commercial outlets that make them for me to specs or above spec</font color=blue>

That's exactly what I did using our local Napa car shop....

your philosophy comports with my approach to these problems! If not "Build it right the First Time!", then at least "over spec the replacement parts"! Every hose I replace will be above spec every time!

/ Are PT parts basically generic? #9  
<font color=red> I'm impressed with the programming firepower evident here. </font color=red>

I suppose a few of us are "compact tractor geeks"? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I suppose the path of least resistance here would be to go the Yahoo group database route. If we got tremendous participation, then that would probably be a motivation to Muhammed to host this database. Given that any data entered can be downloaded as a comma-delimited file, it should be reasonably easy work to then upload it to a new site.

OK, I think I've talked myself into setting up a database on Yahoo. I'll post when it's done...

Dave

/ Are PT parts basically generic? #10  
<font color=red>Every hose I replace will be above spec every time! </font color=red>

A fine resolution, but be prepared for sticker shock when you get to the 3/4 inch size, 3000 PSI PTO hoses. I've learned once again - the hard way - to ask before they start cutting and putting ends on hoses for me.