Are people lazy, don’t know how to help or scared of liability.

/ Are people lazy, don’t know how to help or scared of liability. #31  
From what I see (and have to pick up) it's getting worse. I will say that an old discarded bed spring makes a dandy drag.

The population is higher now and there’s a lot more disposable trash to throw out than there used to be so simple logistics would suggest the problem would be worse.

/ Are people lazy, don’t know how to help or scared of liability. #32  
What I find interesting about it is, we have a couple used tire collection days here as well as old appliances and shot mattresses and bed springs but people still do it anyway. My favorite is when I walk the pup and find sockets and screwdrivers and hammers along the side of the road that fell out of shade tree mechanics engine compartments. That and the tossed 10 cent deposit beverage cans. Usually collect a bag full every time I walk the pup. I an't proud, 10 cents is 10 cents.

/ Are people lazy, don’t know how to help or scared of liability. #33  
Every passing day society becomes more and more like frightened cats up trees with barking lawyers on the ground. If you think it's bad in your neighborhood ,go to NYC to see how bad it will be soon.

/ Are people lazy, don’t know how to help or scared of liability. #35  
I have never been to NYC, and have no desire to ever go

You aint missing a thing. Been there for a few weddings and had friends living there and its a mess. Gives me the creeps.

/ Are people lazy, don’t know how to help or scared of liability. #36  
Years ago, the local electric company did a lot of their own line clearing, but they seemed to have switched to an independent tree clearing contractor. The local water utility still does their own water line repairs, but I think even they hired an outside contractor to install new water lines. The gas utility also hired out the installation of their new gas lines.
I think in many cases the unions price themselves out of the market

Same in my area.
Back in the 80’s, our local utilities were paying linesmen & sewer company workers in the $80,000/yr range with incredible benefits & vacations packages. People would kill to get in those jobs.
Now those jobs are outsourced. The management at the utility companies realized that they gave away the house to their lower level employees.

Next will be teachers, but they are more protected by a VERY powerful group. However, private, parochial and charter schools are becoming more & more desirable.

I wouldn’t doubt it if I see the end of they typical “union school teacher” job before the end of my life and my wife is a union school teacher. She has less than 10 years to go before she takes full retirement benefits. The school districts and school boards happily continue to keep approving more salary & benefits. They don’t care “it ain’t their money”

/ Are people lazy, don’t know how to help or scared of liability. #37  
Priced stuff lately ? Truck, trailer & backhoe alone easily hits quarter of a million dollars.
I know of a town that paid around 300k for a vac-truck..

/ Are people lazy, don’t know how to help or scared of liability. #38  
The population is higher now and there’s a lot more disposable trash to throw out than there used to be so simple logistics would suggest the problem would be worse.
Good Afternoon 4570Man,
I agree with that ! I honestly think most people are descent folks that do not intentionally litter, but there are a few that just do not care. I do not think its fair to say most people are slobs, thats just not true !

As far as clearing trees and such from roadways etc, the more rural folks on here have those tools because they have larger tracks of property and need those tools to perform property maintainence ! Tractors, chainsaws etc ! So I think you would more often see this type helping hands, in a more rural setting as apposed to a suburban development ! JMO !

/ Are people lazy, don’t know how to help or scared of liability. #39  
You aint missing a thing. Been there for a few weddings and had friends living there and its a mess. Gives me the creeps.
I could’ve gone to NYC many times, but I never really had a desire other than to see the statue and possibly Central Park in the Empire State Building.

Our corporate offices are in New Jersey so all I would have to do is delay a return home flight from Friday to Monday or Tuesday and spend the weekend in New York City but I just had no desire

/ Are people lazy, don’t know how to help or scared of liability. #40  
Same in my area.
Back in the 80’s, our local utilities were paying linesmen & sewer company workers in the $80,000/yr range with incredible benefits & vacations packages. People would kill to get in those jobs.
Now those jobs are outsourced. The management at the utility companies realized that they gave away the house to their lower level employees.

Next will be teachers, but they are more protected by a VERY powerful group. However, private, parochial and charter schools are becoming more & more desirable.

I wouldn’t doubt it if I see the end of they typical “union school teacher” job before the end of my life and my wife is a union school teacher. She has less than 10 years to go before she takes full retirement benefits. The school districts and school boards happily continue to keep approving more salary & benefits. They don’t care “it ain’t their money”
My niece was working in a daycare earning just over minimum wage. She was envious of the money teachers made with great benefits and pension. When she completed her degree it took a few years to get in full time.
I listened for years how well paid the teachers were and pensions and benefits.
Now that she is well established in the profession all she does is complain about the poor pay (not here in Kanuckistan, currently north of $150K) not keeping up with inflation, poor benefits (the Prime Minister doesn't have better) crappy pension (gold plated with an inner platinum core).
It's all relative to where you are in your life adventure.
She makes more in 3 months than I chose to live on in a year. I'm good.