ARCO selling Biodiesel at my station now?

/ ARCO selling Biodiesel at my station now?
Looks like all of SoCal ARCO has gone Bio.

I used to hear ads touting biodiesel maybe 10-15 years ago, but not so much in recent years. Didn't even know Arco was still around...haven't seen one of their stations in forever.
Looks like they are mostly west coast.

Attachments

• IMG_5078.png
    IMG_5078.png
    425.2 KB · Views: 59
   / ARCO selling Biodiesel at my station now? #12  
It’s all but gone from around here. Wouldn’t touch that stuff.
Only diesel machine I have is an Iseki TM3160 tractor, I would drive for hours not to use that crap. When I was working, one of the depots was conned into trying it, nothing but trouble the worst of which was diesel bugs. In the winter it turned into jelly, another 'good for the environment" load of crap product.

/ ARCO selling Biodiesel at my station now? #13  
All they have around here in Western Illinois at the pumps is bio. It’s probably B5 but a sticker says it could be up to B30. I know you can get off road that is pure diesel but you have to buy it in large quantity.

There was a study several years ago that I’ve seen published on lubricity of diesel additives. Biodiesel was the best. It’s fine except when it gets cold, when things get down near zero I’ve had it gel on me.
There is much more biodiesel down there in Illinois than up here. I agree from what I have heard....fine until it turns cold. A big contractor from down there that I knew ran lots of Bio in high concentrations in his big equipment. Here is a search map for B20 or higher in the US. Most is in the midwest.

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Biodiesel Fueling Station Locations

Last edited:
   / ARCO selling Biodiesel at my station now? #14  
Looks like all of SoCal ARCO has gone Bio.

Looks like they are mostly west coast.
Most of those locations on that map are 5% or less Bio and I doubt you would even tell you were burning it.

/ ARCO selling Biodiesel at my station now? #16  

Can any diesel engine use B5?​

Yes. B5 can be used in any diesel engine without modification. In fact, biodiesel improves the lubricity of diesel fuel (especially ultra low sulfur diesel) which enhances engine performance and can prolong engine life. All engine manufacturers accept B5 as a standard fuel.

Can any diesel engine use B5?

OP here. I confused Biodiesel with Renewable Diesel which ARCO is selling. Apparently Biodiesel and “Renewable Diesel” are NOT the same thing.

BCB5A909-EFC5-4DCF-9EE4-C619620E76BE.png

/ ARCO selling Biodiesel at my station now? #18  
So, was the renewable diesel at your fuel station 100% and not blended? It sounds like RD is just like #2 and should be considered the same while Bio is not highly refined and must be blended. Yes, I was confused too. :rolleyes:

Biodiesel vs. Renewable Diesel: Are They the Same?

So, was the renewable diesel at your fuel station 100% and not blended? It sounds like RD is just like #2 and should be considered the same while Bio is not highly refined and must be blended. Yes, I was confused too. :rolleyes:

Biodiesel vs. Renewable Diesel: Are They the Same?
There as no sticker on the pump indicating a blend. Online info from ARCO it has a Cetane of 63 which should be excellent.

/ ARCO selling Biodiesel at my station now? #20  
Most Tx pumps have been 5% for over a decade.
But ours are corn oil at least, I haven’t heard of any animal fat in it. I do know that anything with corn oil dissolves rubber fuel lines and eats up carberators on small equipment.