AR 15

/ AR 15
I didn't know that. An article I just read said that the military ditched Colt, but didn't say who they went to. Anybody know who makes the rifle for the military?

/ AR 15 #62  
IIRC, Colt's trouble started when they lost the military contract. Seems like I've been hearing about Colt bankrupcy for a couple years now. They have trouble someone invests to help, they miss payments, borrow more, miss more payments, ad nauseum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TractorByNet

/ AR 15 #63  
The current designated "house" gun is a 10.5" AR-15 pistol chambered in the 300 Blackout round I built on a virgin lower a while back.

The 300 Blackout (or 300BO) consists of a .308 bullet loaded into brass cut down and formed from 5.56/.223 and allows use of standard AR magazines. The short form factor of the pistol makes it handy for indoor or outdoor use, and recoil is so mild you can still "shoulder" the buffer tube if you choose. The small, efficient powder loads help minimize muzzle blast in enclosed areas even when loaded with supersonic rounds rather than heavy subsonics (especially in comparison to .223/5.56 loads). I probably put $750 into the project, including both tools and components, since this was my first build that included building an upper.

A caveat on the 300BO is you pretty much need to roll your own ammo if you want variety or ready availability. Components & dies are easy to find. I have run the pistol with ammo ranging from 125 grain supersonics to 245 grain subsonics without issue.

Building can be a reasonable option for folks with adequate mechanical skills and a few specialty tools. Barrel assemblies (barrel + barrel extension) should come already headspaced & the rest is pretty straight forward.

Nick

Last edited:
   / AR 15 #64  
Eddie, try to avoid any AR that has the original milspec trigger. The reason why I say that is because AR15 trigger upgrades are expensive. Most of the options are over $200 for a trigger upgrade. That is a lot of money when you spent $650 to $850 for the basic rifle.

Anything that has a modern 2 stage trigger with the new sear position is the way to go. Cheaper if you get it right the first time.

Mil-Spec-Factory-Trigger.jpg This is the original (heavy gritty, creepy) trigger

p_739000011_2.jpg This is a "modern" trigger with the sear at a considerably larger working radius. Costs no more to make but expensive to buy if you first get the "lowest common denominator"

In addition, it is advisable to get a free floated handguard so that accurate shooting is possible. Just an aluminum tube is fine, does not need to be fancy or be covered with cheese grater rails.
015924ec2f1b.jpg

Generally you can't go wrong with any of the Rock River Arms offerings.
Rock River Arms: RIFLE SPECIALS! - LAR-15 Varmint A4

Final comment: I am a believer in either 75gr HPBT or 77gr Sierra bullets in a 223. If one ever needed to make a longer distance shot or deal with defensive armour, the ballistics of the heavier 223 bullets is far superior to 55gr FMJ. But for that to work, you should have at least a 1:9 twist barrel and better still a 1:8. These are strategic choices. If I ever needed to rely on a rifle with a lot of firepower, I would rather be shooting at adversaries 300+ yards away than 50 yards away. But hit and incapacitation capacity drops of very fast with the 55gr FMJ but not so with 75gr+.

Last edited:
   / AR 15 #65  
I didn't know that. An article I just read said that the military ditched Colt, but didn't say who they went to. Anybody know who makes the rifle for the military?

In 2013 FN got the contract, they already make the M240 and 249.

/ AR 15 #67  
It's my understanding that this is legal, but the weapon cannot be transferred to anyone else.
I've read that renting the machine may also be decided to be illegal. But if a group of individuals got together and bought it and just passed it among themselves the weapons they made would be legal for the one who created it.

You can also buy uncompleted 80% lowers that have no markings or serial number and finish yourself.

ITs only the lower that gets a serial number or registered. IF you get an 80% or make your own, thats correct that it cannot be sold legally
Again, from my reading several more articles, it seems the skills and tools required to complete one with a drill press etc. are far beyond the skills required to load a computer program, plug in a box, and run the software for 9 hours. Undoubtedly the average TBN'er could do it and would have the metal working tools and knowledge to do it right.
Also the ghost gunner printer can be used to print (or is it mill?) other things that you have the correct digital files for like maybe knives and belt buckles. Maybe even small tractor parts.
Will the Ghost Gunner be able to finish AR-10/.308 receivers?
The machine can physically accommodate and work with these receivers. We are not yet working on parts files or workflows for these. However, we expect the code to quickly be written.
from https://ghostgunner.net/faq.html

Homemade guns can be made for your use, then sold sometime later, with ATF recommending (requires) adding a name and a number. If it is more than a rare occurrence, they will decide you are making them to sell.

You can not make them for sale without a manufacturing license.

I'll add a link when I find it again

Bruce

1. Undetectable plastic is illegal:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/firearm-illegal-if-it-made-plastic

2. License to make:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-individual-need-license-make-firearm-personal-use

3.Selling homemade firearm. Found a letter-Second paragraph, page 2, Serial # required when homemade firearm is sold.
I didn't think Eddie was concerned with resale potential, but there was discussion of licensing. Somewhere in the bowels of the government they know I own a Mossberg 500. They DON'T know about my other weapons, if any ;)

/ AR 15 #68  
I have a AR-10T Armalite. I don't hunt much any more. Mostly target shooting. The AR10T works for my target needs and if I want to hunt it works for that. The guns a little heavy. When I want to waste some money my 338 Lupua dose a good just at that.:D

/ AR 15 #69  

In 2013 FN got a $77 million contract for M4s. In September the Army contracted with FN and Colt for $212 million for M4s and M4A1s through 2020. Colt did file Chapter 11 to reorganize debt.

Colt, FN win $212 million Army M4 contract

/ AR 15 #70  
If I were to go AR again, I would play with some of the other calibers. Long gone is the day of just a 556 AR. There are dozens of alternative calibers/cartridges. I would like to play around with 458SOCOM... 50Beowolf is interesting too.

I would look at a M1A before an AR10, but just personal choice...