anything alike a Pettibone speedswing ?

/ anything alike a Pettibone speedswing ? #1  

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718
Pettibone

I found this Pettibone loader because of a picture on a John Deere OEM engine leaflet. I am interested in it, and how its used. The swivel head concept is very popular in Holland, only not for railroad work, but general earthmoving in urban areas, where there isnt room to turn a big loader around, and a small loader wouldnt deliver the capacity. These machines are used as universal toolcarriers with vibratory sieve bucket, laser leveller, hoist job, pallet forks and off course an ordinary earth bucket. The application differs to the Pettibone, but the concept is quite alike.

Are there any more manufacturers of machines like this on the North American market, or is Pettibone the ugly duckling of the American construction machinery ?? How popular are they ?

/ anything alike a Pettibone speedswing ? #2  
I haven't thought about Pettibones in a long time. I put many hours on a new '75 Super 15 Carylift back when I was working and going to college. Had a 4-53 Detroit and 3 speed Allison trans. Had pipe clamps for the forks. Unloaded gondola cars and trailers loaded with pipe. I loved running that thing. Probably would have done better in college if it wasn't for that Pettibone. Also ran a Pettibone 15 ton hydraulic crane that had a 4' magnet on it. It originally had a 6 cylinder White engine but the company had it retrofitted with a 4-71 Detroit. I can blame my hearing loss on those Detroits.

/ anything alike a Pettibone speedswing ?
Are there any comparable machines in America ?

/ anything alike a Pettibone speedswing ? #4  
at least some Pettibones are made in America. I toured a very small plant in the UP.

/ anything alike a Pettibone speedswing ? #5  
Years ago, a lot of my contractors had them and loved them. I usually referred to them as "plows" because of the tire ruts they left in my sites.

Years ago, a lot of my contractors had them and loved them. I usually referred to them as "plows" because of the tire ruts they left in my sites.

Did they use them as hoists, or as bucket loaders ? I have only seen them on pictures with jibs on them...

/ anything alike a Pettibone speedswing ? #7  
Ive ru n a few of the carry lift machines and a few of their old loaders. I think now they only handle material. The old carry lift looked similar to the new one on the site but the liftt posts were taller. Ther one I ran had an adjustable fork and top clamp for larger pallets. then we had the big stationary forks with clamp for loading logs and pipe. I worked some for a sawmill that had one and had a bucket built to slade over the forks for moving sawdust to.
The US military also had some that looked like a rigid frame lader with rear steer and had a telescopic boom. I knew an od man that got one cheap and put a loader bucket on it. worked well many years. The boom was used short for diggign then extended when dumping over into tall trucks. Im looking for one right now to go into my composting setup.
I think at one time they too had a swing loader like a Schaef set up. I have seen a few pictures of Pettibone loaders. The most popular roles for them here was the carry lift, telescopic lifts, Army lift, and their mobile cranes.

So you guys did get the Schaeff swivel loaders ?? Already as Schaeff, or later when they became Terex-Schaeff ??

Was it a popular concept in America, or did it never catch on ? In Holland its very popular, especially in the 10-12 ton class, where the machines are big enough to carry pallets of paving stones, or load tall sided dump trucks, but agile enough to do the fine tasks in narrow parking lots and urban areas. Thats because most urban areas in Holland are paved with bricks, instead of poured, or dumped with gravel.

/ anything alike a Pettibone speedswing ? #9  
The only "Pettibone" I'm familiar with was a "Pettibone-Mulligan" road grader from back in the 1950's, but lost track since. Was it "Mulligan" or "Mullikan" or some such name? I recall they made some rather unique equipment like loaders and conveyors etc. Can't help you sorry but a variation in name checks might help?

Best of the season to you Renze,
CHEERS!
. . tug

PS: ...Google corrected me to "Pettibone-Mulliken",...and multiple hits.

Last edited:
   / anything alike a Pettibone speedswing ? #10  
They didnt send many here I saw some on Polytrac.de when he had a larger site. I know there was several Europeans companied that made them. I have seen a few Schaefs sent over for special contractors.