Anyone using an oil drain valve, Fumoto or Fram?

/ Anyone using an oil drain valve, Fumoto or Fram? #1  

JJT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710 HST and a Kubota ZD21 60Pro
Anyone here using a drain valve instaead of a drain plug?

I'm interested inthe pro's and con's to swapping out the drain plugs in my vehicles with either a Fumoto or Fram oil drain valve. It seems like it would make an oil change a lot easier. I average 50K miles a year and change my oil every 5000.

The Fram's about half the price of the Fumoto, but the Fumoto looks like a piece of quality hardware.

/ Anyone using an oil drain valve, Fumoto or Fram? #2  
Not using one myself, but have a couple of concerns with them. Leakage and sticking out and snagging on something and breaking them off.

/ Anyone using an oil drain valve, Fumoto or Fram? #3  
JJT,
Buy one! I have a fumoto on my superduty and it makes oil changes easy(not fun but easy). The valve I purchased has a small nipple on the end of the valve body. It allows you to slide a small hose over the end. No spills or stains!

Grif

/ Anyone using an oil drain valve, Fumoto or Fram? #4  
I have only used the Fram. Bought one for my 'o3 GMC 2500hd and the wifes F150 S-crew. Both sure-drain are in the trash now. I got dirtier with them than with the plug. It took over 15 minutes to drain 6qts. They made changing oil like pulling eye teeth.

If I didn't tell you how I relly feel yet. They $UxK.

/ Anyone using an oil drain valve, Fumoto or Fram? #5  
I have a Fumoto (on my Toyota Echo) and it has worked fine. Did an oil change yesterday in fact, engine was warm and all the oil drained in under 5 minutes. Not a drop of oil on my hands or on the ground though when replacing the filter my hands got a bit messy. Having the nipple enables you to attach a small piece of tube to the Fumoto while sticking the other end in an empty plastic milk container and you have drained the oil with no mess. I have not experienced any dripping when it is in the closed position. And the nipple sticks out minimally, I do not believe it would ever come close to scraping the ground in the event of bottoming out. After 2 oil changes I highly recommend it and will buy another following our upcoming purchase of a Toyota Sienna.

I have not used the Fram Sure Drain but have read from others that it drains VERY slowly.

I change the oil every 2 months/3,000 miles.

/ Anyone using an oil drain valve, Fumoto or Fram? #6  
Fumoto here for 2years on a Duramax with no problems at all. Just loving it!
gary

/ Anyone using an oil drain valve, Fumoto or Fram?
Thanks guys, after reading your posts I'll be ordering the Fumoto. I'll report back in a few months.

/ Anyone using an oil drain valve, Fumoto or Fram? #8  
Biggest problem with most engines is you still have to contend with oil mess from unscrewing filters. Some (I've heard) are changing to Mercedes design (patnet now expired) of having a sock filter inside a built-in filter casing that self-drains to the crankcast when the top cap is removed and filter is changed out. I've heard that most Mercedes dealers use vacuum pumps to suck the oil from the dipstick after the old oil filter is removed. Brookstone makes a vacuum tank and hand pump for this. I've a hand pump that will suck it out this way, too, but it's slow. Prefer to back the car up a slope with nose sticking out over the slope to unscrew the drain plug.

Would worry about those quick drain gizmos getting knocked off unless you have a shroud underneath there. If you have a shroud, like on many cars now, I'd look into use of the vacuum pump/tank.

Ralph