Anyone use a HF plate compactor?

/ Anyone use a HF plate compactor? #1  

Root Cause

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
I have a couple of large, residential projects underway. Renting a compactor is $175/day and that doesn't mean you get it when you need it.

So, anyone buy or use one from Harbor Freight? I am not going into business with it. I need it to last for 20-30 hours.
Ratings and YTube channels seem to think it is ok but will it really compact rock for a foundation?
My tractor is about 5500 lbs and I can run over some of it but I can't reach those pesky corners.
Talk me out of it.

/ Anyone use a HF plate compactor? #2  
outdoor with the morgans bought one and has a couple videos on youtube

/ Anyone use a HF plate compactor? #3  
I have the blue one, I thinks it's power horse or something like that, or maybe I got it northern tool. Either way it works well, I've had it for 5 or 6 years and use it often in my business.

If it sits outside in a windy hard rain water gets in the cylinder somehow. You'll know when you pull start it. Lol. It's happened a couple times, pull the sparks plug yank it a few times to get the water out and it'll start right up.

/ Anyone use a HF plate compactor? #4  
I have the blue one, I thinks it's power horse or something like that, or maybe I got it northern tool. Either way it works well, I've had it for 5 or 6 years and use it often in my business.

If it sits outside in a windy hard rain water gets in the cylinder somehow. You'll know when you pull start it. Lol. It's happened a couple times, pull the sparks plug yank it a few times to get the water out and it'll start right up.
It will compact much better than a 5000lb tractor but it will only do a few inches at a time so if it's think you have to add/compact/add/compact/repeat. The specs tell you how think a layer it does. Proper moisture is key also depending on the aggregate you're compacting.

/ Anyone use a HF plate compactor? #5  
I have had the 6.5 HP HF Plate Compacter for 6 years. Bought it with a discount and coupon at the store for 500. Works great, never had a problem except everyone wants to borrow it. Right now its at my dads house and I need to get it for some projects of my own.
So far I used it for paver bricks and some concrete pad preps. It start right up and does the job well. I also bought a cart for it and that allows me move it around and store it in the garage without starting it.
At 500 bucks I used it over 20 hours and several months and my family and friends have used it another 50 to 60 hours. Saved us big bucks....I really should be renting this out though.

/ Anyone use a HF plate compactor? #6  
I also have the HF plate compactor, the orange one. I use it to compact the dirt in the trenches. My BH bucket is 18" wide and the plate compactor fits into the trench nicely. I've got mostly clay here so plates aren't the best, but it seems to work well enough. Put down a couple inches, compact it, repeat. Don't try to compact to much fill at once. Previously the trenches would sink after a few rains, even after driving a 5000# tractor over them. Now with the compactor they're hard to find. I welded 4 eye bolts to the side of the compactor so I could lower it into the trench. It does not have a reverse so at the end of the trench I have to lift it out and turn it around. I've had it a few years and no idea how many hours but it is not used often, but when I need it, it's always worked well. I store it on an HF furniture dolly.

/ Anyone use a HF plate compactor? #7  
Check Menards, approx same price, has lifting loop on top of machine - useful with boom pole or lifting hooks on bucket. Best part it's not HF

/ Anyone use a HF plate compactor? #8  
Harbor freight orange one here I've used for 10 years. Compacted 40x60 barn building site and crushed rock floor inside it. Great for compacting driveway after new gravel, no more washouts. Strap a piece of carpet an plate and level pavers perfectly. One of my favorite hf purchases next to their tile/paver wet saw. Paid for itself after 3 days of use like the tile saw compared to rental.

/ Anyone use a HF plate compactor?
Harbor freight orange one here I've used for 10 years. Compacted 40x60 barn building site and crushed rock floor inside it. Great for compacting driveway after new gravel, no more washouts. Strap a piece of carpet an plate and level pavers perfectly. One of my favorite hf purchases next to their tile/paver wet saw. Paid for itself after 3 days of use like the tile saw compared to rental.
great idea. I appreciate the comments.

/ Anyone use a HF plate compactor? #10  
Check the local pawn shops. I bought what was essentially a brand new Bomag plate compactor from a pawn shop for $500.00 a few years ago when a new one was running over $1200.00