Anyone use 12v valves on ATV sprayer?

/ Anyone use 12v valves on ATV sprayer? #1  

Ed of all trades

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere X310, JD LA 145
I have an ATV sprayer that I use for roundup around trees and in my drive way ect. I would like to add 12v valves and fan nozzles so I can just ride along and spray. I have my sprayer mounted on my three point so I can raise and lower it to help adjust spray width. I think I can figure it out but I hate to spend $$$ on something you have already learned wont work or will work better another way. Thanks in advance Ed.
I also need to make the nozzles ect flexible or removable because my tank hooks to a hitch I use for everything from pulling trailers to snaking logs. Thanks Ed.

/ Anyone use 12v valves on ATV sprayer? #2  
12 volt solenoid valves do exist. ASCO or ALSCO is a brand that comes to mind.
Generally they offer a variety of seal to match the chemicals that you would use.
Generally can be had in 12, 24 VDC and 110 vac

/ Anyone use 12v valves on ATV sprayer?
Yes I have found some 12 v valves. I was wondering more about design ideas ect. I know I am not the first to come up with this idea.

/ Anyone use 12v valves on ATV sprayer? #4  
Not on an ATV sprayer, but the build for my 3 point sprayer included a pair of 12V valves. The picture shows the "beta" version with one solenoid valve for the boom, and one for the spray wand. I've since added 2 more valves, and the ability to spray any combination of left, center and right boom sections.

The valves are controlled by lighted rocker swiches in a box mounted on the fender. The rev. 2.0 version has 4 switches. All circuits are fused individually in the control box, and the main feed is fused at the battery tap. When not needed the sprayer control unplugs from the sprayer with a trailer light connector, which BTW, can be used to attach and switch any needed 12 volt load quickly with and additional trailer end connector. The trailer connector is rated for 20A. Hopefully the pictures give you some ideas. Mark

/ Anyone use 12v valves on ATV sprayer? #5  
If you're just using an ATV sprayer anyway, why bother with the valves? just put the demand pump on a switch and throw it on? That's the way I've been running mine for years.

/ Anyone use 12v valves on ATV sprayer? #7  
Our local farm stores have 12v valves specifically for sprayers, inexpensive and ready to rock.

/ Anyone use 12v valves on ATV sprayer? #8  
I took a look and they're identical to Briar Hill's. The ones our store carries have 3/4 male/female on each end so they can be ganged together, and 1/2" outputs.

/ Anyone use 12v valves on ATV sprayer?
Thanks "guys" I see that this is going to work. I want to keep the hand wand and add a nozzle to spray around trees, fences, ect. and then have a spray pattern about 4' wide right behind the tractor. B H Briytneys thanks. that is just what I have in mind just different.

/ Anyone use 12v valves on ATV sprayer? #10  
Thanks "guys" I see that this is going to work. I want to keep the hand wand and add a nozzle to spray around trees, fences, ect. and then have a spray pattern about 4' wide right behind the tractor. B H Briytneys thanks. that is just what I have in mind just different.
That's exactly what I've been doing with mine: it's an off-the-shelf Fimco boomless sprayer, the spray "boom" is just one fan nozzle and two patterned jets throwing to the sides. You can shut off any of them individually if you want. I just put a switch on the dashboard of my UTV, that goes straight to the pump: no solenoid valves involved, just throw the switch and I'm spraying, turn it off and it stops. Pretty simple. Lock off the valve to the boom, and you've got a wand sprayer with a 20' hose that uses the standard "on-demand" mode of operation on the pump. It's pretty simple without any solenoids, and does exactly what you want just with cutting off pump power. You call it an "ATV Sprayer", so I'm making the assumption it's got a 12v pump and not a roller pump on the tractor or anything..