Anyone sitting on the fence on an SKS, this is one you might not want to ignore....

/ Anyone sitting on the fence on an SKS, this is one you might not want to ignore.... #11  
I was going to suggest buying a REAL rifle, American made of course, via the DCM. ;) Then I looked at the prices! :shocked: The DCM prices have really gone up! A bit over $500 plus shipping for an M1. The last time I checked the DCM prices the same rifle was $200. :eek:

Later,
Dan

/ Anyone sitting on the fence on an SKS, this is one you might not want to ignore.... #12  
I was going to suggest buying a REAL rifle, American made of course, via the DCM. ;) Then I looked at the prices! :shocked: The DCM prices have really gone up! A bit over $500 plus shipping for an M1. The last time I checked the DCM prices the same rifle was $200. :eek:

Later,
Dan

I have several real rifles, and most of my stuff is made here by far. When I look in my safe, I look down on the bores and from that angle...they look even more real than normal.:eek:

/ Anyone sitting on the fence on an SKS, this is one you might not want to ignore.... #13  
I guess I got a pretty good deal on a Russian made reconditioned SKS with 1000 FMJ rounds of chinese made (1971 year)ammo for $200. A co-worker bought it about 10 years ago and never shot it. I paid him what he paid for it last year. Very good shooting gun complete with bayonet, gun cleaning kit and sling. It has the Russian armory stamp on it that according to the literature with the rifle indicates that it went thru the SKS armory and completely reconditioned.
I just opened the hermetically sealed can a few days ago (Thanksgiving) and inside there is a paper tag that says 7.62 then 0063--81 2/1 25 over 67 then 85 then several lines of 1971 10. Behind each number is a chinese symbol which I assumed is Chinese equivalent to the arabic numeral.
Anyone care to translate those numbers.

/ Anyone sitting on the fence on an SKS, this is one you might not want to ignore....
Yugoslavian rifles do not have chromed bores because in the 50's they didn't have good access to chrome and what little they had got used for more strategic purposes. The Yugo SKS's are well made and many of them are in pristine condition. For a bit more than $50 over the price of a 10/22 you get a semi automatic centerfire rifle (they have the "ordinary" 59/66's for $319) and the condition of the ones I posted are even better for another $60 more and they precede the bulky grenade launcher/sight attachment on the end of the barrel.

Generally, Yugoslavia must have been a pretty peaceful place before it went to ****, because the rifles do not even appear to have been handled much. I have a 2nd 59/66 which saw service in Bosnia and the stock on that was covered with autographs of those who carried it. Quite a different character, compared to our steel and aluminum guns with zero personalization...

Wideners will ship the rifle to your local FFL, no problem. Your FFL just has to fax them his certificate before they will ship.

I just put a scout scope mount on one of mine and a Bushnell TRS 25 red dot scope. I have a hard time with Iron sights and this red dot was such an improvement. I shot a 3" group at 50 yards, which is better than I have ever done with the V - post sights on your typical battle rifle. The scout scope mount goes into the place of the regular rear sight and is rock solid (it has 4 screws that hold it to the receiver and a 5th which sets the elevation, so that only minor tweaks are needed to get the red dot zeroed). This setup also leaves the use of stripper clips etc intact and doesn't get in the way of the ejected casings either.

151-280x206.jpg

593456.jpg

/ Anyone sitting on the fence on an SKS, this is one you might not want to ignore.... #15  
I'm surpriced the SVT is not more popular/common. From what I have read, those with the WWII scopes were pretty decent. reading about WWII, appears a number of German snipers started using captured SVT's instead of their Mausers.

/ Anyone sitting on the fence on an SKS, this is one you might not want to ignore....
Whats an SVT ? The SKS was designed and built after WW2.

I still have over a year before I will "qualify" for one of those (permanent resident). It wouldn't surprise me that they are close to gone by then... Seen what they charge for ammo now ?

Later,
Dan

/ Anyone sitting on the fence on an SKS, this is one you might not want to ignore.... #19  
My first rifle was a Yugo SKS I bought from a local store for $150. It would slam fire about every 100 rounds or so. It was in good cosmetic shape. I sold it for $250 about a year ago.

/ Anyone sitting on the fence on an SKS, this is one you might not want to ignore.... #20  
Back 15~20+ yrs ago my Bro bought a Yogo SKS w 2 cases (2000) rounds at the local gun show, Gun was 90 bucks with full cleaning boxed case bayonet etc. I think it was a special out the door for 200 bucks W 1000 rds ammo or 250 with the 2000 rounds. Would every now & again go full auto via clogged pin. We had old Remington 22 long tube loader that did same thing. It was a bit better as you had to pull the trigger to rip em off but in about 3 sec you could unload the long tube high cap 22s 8D :) sure puts a smile on your face :D

My Bro passed away 2 yrs ago now, & the SKS passed away a couple year prior in a fire... It was down to less than a hundred rounds from the original 2K when my nephew blew off most of them and were only a few rounds left when fire happened. He did a bit of tinkering with a suppressor fab on it that turned out to work rather well for what it was but did take away some of the accuracy. after 2 or 3 different versions of fabbed up suppressor experiments he tossed em. that was back when crack downs were going on on gun shows and all the big hoopla... The gun near the end had a quick re-paint to camo and the receiver was pretty sloppy fit with the back pressure maybe??

Mark