Mowing Anyone running a sickle mower on a BX?

/ Anyone running a sickle mower on a BX? #1  

acohen100

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I have some steep banks alongside a stream and pond, and I am considering buying a sickle-bar mower for the BX24. I have never heard anyone on here talk about it with a BX and I was wondering if it was feasible given power limitations.

/ Anyone running a sickle mower on a BX? #2  
I recall reading about at least one poster that has, but don't recall his moniker. Try a search.

I use a L&G tractor mounted sicklebar mower for the same tasks and it does an outstanding job. cuts my weedwacker time down to minutes :D

You want to get one that will pivot and operate at angles. The older pitman style won't.
Off hand I'd say the BX can handle most of the smaller versions made.
Be prepared for sticker shock as they're proud of them.
Since you have a BX24, you already have the hydraulic connections to add a remote valve. You don't need a remote valve to operate a sicklebar mower but it makes it real nice to raise/lower/adjust one when mowing.
I use a winch to adjust mine on the Wheel Horse.
Giood luck, keep us posted.

/ Anyone running a sickle mower on a BX? #3  
acohen100 said:
I have some steep banks alongside a stream and pond, and I am considering buying a sickle-bar mower for the BX24. I have never heard anyone on here talk about it with a BX and I was wondering if it was feasible given power limitations.
Sickle bars take negligible power. The trouble is size and offset weight. I run a Ford501 7' bar on my BX1500. To be able to hook it on the mini cat 1 linkage I had to use an HF quick hitch as the easiest way to set it back enuf to clear the tires. It is a full size sickle machine and so it has some weight to it - offset to the right. Lifting it lightens the front and left appreciably. Work on steep banks is fine until you lift. You will need weight on the front. Make a wish for independent wheel braking. Spacing out the right rear helps a lot. Oversized fronts would help you overcome the bars leverage by letting the fronts pull hard when turning to aid steering in 4wd. If you can find a small sickle bar you get around all this but you dont have much reach.
larry

/ Anyone running a sickle mower on a BX? #4  
I stopped by a dealers today, and they had info on a small sickle bar mower that would be great for a BX perhaps. They are made in Italy. Here is a link to their web site:
ENOAGRICOLA ROSSI S.r.l. - Macchine per l'agricoltura

I'm sure if you pm Rick (northwoodpower) he will be happy to give you more info :)