Anyone removed a Kuboata M rear tire and wheel that has a cast center?

/ Anyone removed a Kuboata M rear tire and wheel that has a cast center? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Has anyone done this? if the wheels are set to their narrowest position, the tire, wheel and cast center have to come off as a unit, and a heavy one at that. Has anyone taken their wheel with cast center off and if so, how difficult was it and how did you do it? Mine is an M7040 but others are the same.

Here's a pic of the wheel. Seems the cast center has to come off first or everything must come off as a unit.
IMG_7435.JPG

Here's an inside the wheel pic showing how the wheel and rim are mounted.
IMG_7436.JPG

/ Anyone removed a Kuboata M rear tire and wheel that has a cast center? #2  
Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, normally I would unbolt the rim from the center, then securing the tire and rim to the tractor, unbolt the center and remove it.
It will be quite heavy. At that point the tire and rim can be walked or rolled or lifted mechanically.
For the first widening step then secure the center to the hub and the rim to the center,
if that's not wide enough the rim can be moved to the other side and attached to the other center.

/ Anyone removed a Kuboata M rear tire and wheel that has a cast center?
Thank you for the ideas and dstig1--that is some serious creativity on your part.

From your idea, I've narrowed it down to either using my forks or not removing the tires/wheels at all. It's a little embarrassing to say that my motive is really to do a first class factory quality paint job on the wheels and centers before I have new tires mounted. I happened to find a used Kubota with the typical fading paint on the wheels and it's just something that bothers me.

If I had to adjust wheel spacing I would take it to a dealer. These puppies are just to heavy, unstable and difficult for one guy in a shop. One slip and you're a pancake.

Thank you all.

/ Anyone removed a Kuboata M rear tire and wheel that has a cast center? #5  
I tried adjusting the wheels on my previous tractor - Ford 1710 with loaded rear tires. I DID slip and came within a whisker of being pancaked. It took two big strong guys and me to get the tire back upright and on the tractor again.

Not even a snowballs chance in #$%^ would I EVER try it with the filled tires on my M6040. They are each filled with around 740 pounds of rimguard plus the weight of the tire and the rim. I estimate each is close to 1000 pounds. One of those tires flop down on me - I'm gonna look like a tube of toothpaste that somebody stepped on.

Fortunately - I had the dealer set them wide when I bought the tractor and he filled the rear tires. Both the front and rear tires on my tractor have eight sets of steps for adjusting their width. Four with the wheel disk dished in - four with the wheel disk dished out.

The other thing I never though about when futzing with the tires on my previous tractor. I was all by myself, as I usually am out here, and if trapped under a wheel would probably become coyote food - either the second or third night. Maybe the first night - if I died right away.

Years back I bought a tractor that had 18.4x34 rears and 12.4x24 fronts and all four were calcium loaded. I don't like loaded tires for ag things but decided to use it that way for a while. Whoa, was it heavy and made a great can crusher.

This was when I lived in northern New England and managed to get a flat in a distant field maybe two miles from the house and back in a thicket of trees, brush and swamp. There were no ag service trucks where I lived so I was on my own. It took two days, lots of equipment and a sea of mud before I got the thing off and on the way to be fixed. That could have easily killed someone and it would have taken a week to find me. The tire and wheel were maybe 700 lbs plus whatever the calcium weighed for maybe a 2,000 lb total. No more loaded anything in life, except maybe me. :) Cast iron all the way.

I'm the OP and I spent a while today looking at the rim and center and have a thought. First of all, Kubota is smart enough to not box anyone in with a problem that is difficult to solve. With that in mind, I wonder if I could lift the tire slightly off the ground, unbolt the rim from the center and twist it enough so that I can get around one of the tabs that keeps the wheel on. Then I could wiggle the rim and tire off and leave the cast center bolted to the axle. I think it's possible.
For that answer I need to find someone that has done this or maybe a dealer that knows about it. If I can keep this thread alive maybe someone will check in.

/ Anyone removed a Kuboata M rear tire and wheel that has a cast center? #8  
There are commercially available wheel lifts that were the inspiration for my little gizmo. Not the kind of thing you would buy for a one time use as they are pricey. If you have access to another tractor or skid steer, i would just use that instead (assuming you have the space to maneuver). I'm not sure if an engine hoist would do it easily as the fender might get in the way, but that could be another option.

/ Anyone removed a Kuboata M rear tire and wheel that has a cast center? #9  
When Kubotas are assembled and shipped they have the wheels set in for obvious reasons. Mine were like that when I bought it new.

On my 9540 it was possible to remove the tire/rim without removing the center. To get the width I wanted I had to swap sides.

When I did this my tires were not filled with fluid. It was still a struggle and I did it by myself. I've swapped several tires and find it easier to do by myself. With a helper you find yourself fighting each other.

Hopefully your setup is like mine. Appears to be the same center with maybe a narrower rim. My tires are 18.4x30. Not sure of rim width.

Good luck Six!!!

/ Anyone removed a Kuboata M rear tire and wheel that has a cast center? #10  
Six - your tires are 16.9 x 32 - - right? If they are air filled - then I would give your idea a try. If they are fluid filled - I don't think I would try.