Anyone plant with a HST?

/ Anyone plant with a HST? #1  

threeman

Silver Member
Anyone plant with a HST L series or MX?

/ Anyone plant with a HST? #2  
Actually, the seed farmer down the road borrowed my 5030 HSTC back when I owned it to plant his test plots for the University. The hydrostat in low range gave him precise control over the seeder. Not practical for field use (not enough balls) but for test plots, it worked just fine.

My M9 HDCC3 (low ratio low creeper gear) would probably work as well.

/ Anyone plant with a HST? #3  
What are you planting, what planter, and how many acres?

I plant 2 acres of corn with a 2-row planter and MX.

Would be foolish to plant a couple hundred acres that way.

/ Anyone plant with a HST?
Only small garden stuff never owned a HST. About all you can find now days. 2 row JD 71 planters. Two row Covington cultivators. 84” rotoriller. 7’ hardee disk. Everyonce in while 3 bottom plow. Two acres max.

Deer food plots maybe 5ac.

/ Anyone plant with a HST? #5  
Mx is the perfect machine then IMO.

The only issue you may have is the plow. Because it varies so much based on dirt type, plow type, tire type, and plow size. And all you said was 3-bottom.

3-12's is probably fine with an mx and r4 tires.

3-14 you probably gonna want ag tires for sure and tire ballast wouldn't hurt.

3-16 is what I have. And it's pretty much the max with R1's, loaded tires, PLUS 300# wheel weighs per wheel. Any slight hills or ever so slightly too wet and it will slip a little more than I want. But does a fantastic job if the conditions are just right.

2-row planter, 2-row cultivator are child's play for the mx. That's the stuff ran behind old 8n tractors with half the HP, 1/3 less weight, and 2wd.

7' tiller is perfect match to the MX

/ Anyone plant with a HST?
I really like the layout of the grand L 5060. Open station.

/ Anyone plant with a HST? #7  
I really like the layout of the grand L 5060. Open station.
Pretty much same tractor in terms of ability. Weight and tire size basically the same. Just more deluxe.....so my comments would be the same

/ Anyone plant with a HST? #8  
Pretty much same tractor in terms of ability. Weight and tire size basically the same. Just more deluxe.....so my comments would be the same
I think the GL machines have smaller front wheels than the MX.

/ Anyone plant with a HST? #9  
I think the GL machines have smaller front wheels than the MX.
Yes but not enough to change my suggestions to the OP and why I said "basically" the same

/ Anyone plant with a HST? #10  
Every year I plant about 30-40 acres of athletic fields with a Kubota Grand L6060 with a 6' planter on the 3 point hitch. And I plant in 2 directions.

Imagine planting 30 acres with a 6 foot planter and you have to turn around every 300 feet.

I would not want to do that without the HST.