Anyone own their own propane tank?

/ Anyone own their own propane tank? #2  
I own my 500 gallon tank. Most used tanks in my area will cost about $1/gallon or less. A 500 gallon tank in good condition will be $400-500. A 1000 gallon tank $900-1000. You can rent them from suppliers, but then you have to buy their propane and pay monthly rental fee. Usually, after several years of renting, you could have owned your own used tank for the price of renting. Propane guy told me that above ground tanks last a very, very long time. Tanks in the ground can rust out and won't last as long. The valves or guages can be replaced if needed. We have tanks on the farm over 50 years old and in great shape. Just need to paint them once in awhile to stop the cosmetic surface rust. Even if you rent one, it may be a used repainted tank.

If you plan to use it for a long time, then consider buying. If you plan to move or quit using in several years, then rent.

Propane suppliers prefer 1000 gal tanks for residential use because they don't have to fill them as often. I have a large house and it is probably better suited for a 1000 gal tank. There is no charge for delivery and I am on a "keep full" policy. It is their responsibility to make sure I don't run out. If I do run out, then they have to purge all the lines and restart the fireplaces, stoves, furnace in my shed and water heaters at no cost. I have run out about 3 times over the past 7 years. It takes them about 2 hours to get everything working. (You would think they would learn.) They will even come out at night or on the weekend in the winter if I run out. (Been there, done that.)

/ Anyone own their own propane tank? #3  
id like to, i run across 500 gal ones on craigslist quite often. but getting them to me is always an issue.

Id like 1000 gal storage so i only had to buy LP once a year (durring the cheep season)

as it is i run a 500 gal tank supplied from a local LP company. no cost to rent and they dont seem to cut much of a deal if you own your own.

/ Anyone own their own propane tank? #4  
Speaking of which;
How much for propane in your neck of the woods? For me, here in Northern California, I just got filled with 220 gallons of propane at $2.50 per gallon. I also rent the tank and they charge $90 per year.

/ Anyone own their own propane tank? #5  
I own my 1000 gallon tank. Just had it topped off for $2.35 a gallon this past Monday

/ Anyone own their own propane tank? #6  
I called yesterday to put in about 350 gallons to top off the tank for the season. I live about 2 miles from where they deliver from but we own our 500 gallon tank. Cost was $2.23 a gallon. If I pay within 15 days its $2.03 a gallon. Last year we went through about 600 gallons while we got the house ready to move into. This year we got all the floors back in and the bad windows replaced so hopefully we do not use as much.

/ Anyone own their own propane tank? #7  
I just received a contract for 1000 gal @$1.90. The noncontract price is slightly lower but I don't know the amount. 1000 gallons will usually take me through the fall and into the start of summer. I think the tank rental fee is $10/month.

/ Anyone own their own propane tank? #8  
I own mine, never thought about it, just the way my propane supplier works. Have had the same supplier for almost 20 years, no problems, usually my price is pretty competitive.

/ Anyone own their own propane tank? #9  
for a furnace (i.e. 500 gallons or more)/

Good Evenin smfcpacfp,
I own my own 330 gal. As others have allready said its worth it in the long run, and the good part is you can go shopping for the lowest propane rates in your area ! ;):)

/ Anyone own their own propane tank? #10  
I own my 500 gallon tank. Have repainted it once in 25 years. Just refilled it
at $2.37/gallon after calling around and finding several suppliers at $2.70 ish.
Found out that since 9/11 there are rules about testing the tanks... some
were willing to do so for free, others wanted up to $75 to do it. Owning is
better than renting, IMHO.