Anyone own a Woods or Land Pride stump grinder?

/ Anyone own a Woods or Land Pride stump grinder? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
For years I've been thinking about a 3PT stump grinder but never had enough stumps. Now, I do and am thinking about either a Woods TSG50 or Land Pride GR1525. Does anyone own either or can comment on them or stump grinders in general? My plan is to use for a couple years and then sell it.

/ Anyone own a Woods or Land Pride stump grinder? #2  

Attachments

• nt.jpg
    nt.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 708
Yes... Land Pride... And couldn't be happier. What would you like to know?

/ Anyone own a Woods or Land Pride stump grinder? #3  
Look at Shaver. In a previous life I worked for a dealer that carried Woods and Landpride. But of the half dozen or so 3pt stump grinders we sold over the 20 years I was there, all were Shaver.

/ Anyone own a Woods or Land Pride stump grinder?

Attachments

• nt.jpg
    nt.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 708
Yes... Land Pride... And couldn't be happier. What would you like to know?
Quality of construction, durability, ease of use, service life of carbide cutters and maybe price paid?

Look at Shaver. In a previous life I worked for a dealer that carried Woods and Landpride. But of the half dozen or so 3pt stump grinders we sold over the 20 years I was there, all were Shaver.
OK, thanks.

/ Anyone own a Woods or Land Pride stump grinder? #6  
Quality of construction, durability, ease of use, service life of carbide cutters and maybe price paid?
I have maybe 15 to 20 hours on it. Seems to be of high quality construction; very easy to use, but does have a learning curve; carbide tips look like new still, paid 5K. I'm quite happy so far with no complaints at all.

/ Anyone own a Woods or Land Pride stump grinder? #7  
I have the woods tgs50. It's does fine, if you go too fast it hops around (could be I need new teeth). I prefer the backhoe when I can over the stump grinder. The biggest complaint is being able to see what you're doing from the tractor. If you're on the ground you still have to reach over the fender to operate the remote lever and still can't see. All that said it does a nice job

Went with a Land Pride.

/ Anyone own a Woods or Land Pride stump grinder? #9  
Went with a Land Pride.
I think you will really like it. I mounted the electric remote on my right fender just above the rear remote handles, and it makes it very easy to operate.

/ Anyone own a Woods or Land Pride stump grinder? #10  
Sunday to Thursday, you move quickly although you did say you have been thinking about them for years. I analyzed them for years dithering and rationalizing. It seemed that the PTO "majors"--Baumalite, Land Pride, Shaver, and Woods--all had comparable 25" (or so), PTO powered, hydraulically slewed and raised grinders. While I was pricing them I discovered Quick Attach Attachments, a brother company to Erskine (the promotional videos for each company appear to be edits of the same movie). The differences (and the companies makes them into selling points) were that QA has teeth on both sides of the wheel so it cuts swinging L and R and the QA has brackets for suitcase weights on the frame (weight is your friend).

I have only ground 4 or 5 stumps, so I am still learning to operate my QA. I can easily reach my remotes when standing beside the tire, and that gives a better view of the operation. However, after each series of sweeps the tractor must be backed 6-8" which I do from the seat where the view is not as good. The QA has a scale on the height cylinder that is handy. If the Land Pride doesn't have such a scale, I suggest you rig one. The cutting head bounces when fed too quickly, and for some reason that I think is inherent in the design, bounces more going from L to R than going from R to L (as viewed when operating the grinder). The operator's manual recognizes this and notes: "If the attachment tends to chatter on the return stroke (left to right), suitcase weights can be mounted on the frame for additional stability." Perhaps that is why the other manufacturers have teeth on only one side.

Last edited: