Anyone own a PT2422?

/ Anyone own a PT2422? #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
Does anyone own (or considered/tested) a PT2422? If so, would you mind posting your impressions? TX.

/ Anyone own a PT2422? #2  
I played with one when my wife and I visted the factory. She actually jumped on it first and tore into the dirt pile while I was playing around on a 422. As much fun as it was, there were two items that held us back...

1) The extra $$$$. Figured I could get a small bucket for the 422 for the little jobs and rent something for the big ones - most likely a mini excivator.
2) The extra height. Not that the COG was that bad, but with the canopy it was going to be a bit much to manuver around the trees in the yard and back in the woods.

I guess one other factor was the weight. I would definately need a two wheel trailer to haul it. I was thinking with the 422 I would be able to move it + an attachment or two on the single axel trailer I already owned. However, I have yet to put it to the test and am already of thinking of getting the bigger trailer anyway... if I'm going to take my little green machine somewhere, I had best be ready for battle with all the implements of destruction in my arsenal /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.

/ Anyone own a PT2422? #3  
Griff:
As you observe, as you collect PT attachments, you need a bigger trailer to get to jobsites. Because of the quick interchangeability, I find myself deciding to take two or three attachments just in case I need them. If I could afford it, I'd probably end up with a 22 foot trailer towed by a flatbed truck, with PT attachments sticking out in all directions.
The main advantage of the 2422, of course, is the backhoe. I'm pleased so far with the Lackender dipper and bucket on the front of the PT1845. I hope that someone soon will try a similar setup on the 400 series, since I think for the small jobs it will be great. (For digging big stuff, I'll still rent a machine with someone who knows how to run it.)

/ Anyone own a PT2422?
If I understand the pricing correctly, the backhoe is not included on the PT2425. It's a $2700 accessory. It might make more sense to get something from Lackender and mount on a PT42x if one doesn’t use a hoe very often. However, the 242x does have the advantage of a higher lift (84”), the option to add a hoe, and a (to be announced) floating 3 point hitch with PTO for using std. TPH attachments.

/ Anyone own a PT2422? #5  
Marrt:
I didn't consider the 2400 series because such a large percentage of my time is mowing. With its high lift capability and 3 point, the 2422 is more flexible in other functions, but now as good for mowing, particularly on the steep stuff. As a loader, digger and sometimes mower, however, it looks really capable.
Of course, if you start up the line toward a bit more power, you'll have Mark Chalkley chiming in about the small Earth Forces.
As with the BX - PT425 debate, it sure would be fun to figure how to set up some head to head competitions. Unfortunately, there aren't magazines with enough circulation to have that kind of budget.

/ Anyone own a PT2422? #6  
I looked at them on the web. They looked like more of a contractors machine than a lawn mower machine, which is what I really wanted and got with the PT425.

Take a look at the seating arrangement. It looks like you sit up on top of the engine on the rear half of the machine. On the PT400 series, you sit down in the machine and you are sitting on the front half of the machine.

I think they are aimed at different primary uses.

/ Anyone own a PT2422? #7  
I have been thinking of one because of the lifting heights. I plan on spending time on one at the factory!

KCook

/ Anyone own a PT2422? #8  
I don't own a 2422, 2425 or any PT (yet!) for that matter, so 'scuse me for chiming in, but I would like to know what PT owners have to comment about the 24 series in general?

I have a line on a used PT 2445 package with numerous implements, a trailer and a backhoe !!! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif....all for an almost reasonable price (still need a budget stretcher), low (<1000) hours, well maintained.

My reasoning is that the extra hp would be nice, along with the extra weight, lifting capacity etc. I suspect it would not be quite as convenient for mowing, but given all the other work ahead of us, I'm not inclined to let that tail wag the dog.

All that said, I don't have any comparison comfort wise. Is the seat placement relative to controls on the 24 series really that uncomfortable as compared to the 18 series? Will mowing be impractical with this machine? Any other observations, caveats or concerns?

Am I placing too much emphasis on the extra power & weight?

/ Anyone own a PT2422? #9  
What are going to do with it, how much do you have to take care of?

KCook

/ Anyone own a PT2422? #10  
kcook,

I risk being repetitive by repeating it all here, (see Best Mountain Tractor? thread in buying section for more), but basically, clearing, pasture prep, seeding, mowing, fencing, planting, building site prep, hauling trees, pond building....all the fun stuff!!/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif