Anyone move round bales with a L3800?

/ Anyone move round bales with a L3800? #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Anyone use their L3800 (or L3901) to move round bales with a FEL bale spear or a 3-pt spear? I'm not planning to move them far, just unload from a flatbed and put out in a feed ring, traveling over flat ground.

/ Anyone move round bales with a L3800? #2  
You had better get an idea of their weight.To many different sizes/weights to offer a guess.

/ Anyone move round bales with a L3800? #3  
I move fescue/rye rounds that weigh less than 1,000 pounds with my little JD870. It uses the same size tires as a L3800. If I had known I was going to move round bales, I would have bought a bigger tractor. Off the trailer they go, down to a few inches off the ground. Never lifted back up unless I am on my concrete aisle. If you are buying a tractor, go bigger. If you have a tractor that small, you can do it if you are careful.

/ Anyone move round bales with a L3800? #4  
I move round bales all the time on the 3 point with the l3400. With the loader I could do it, but why bother when my jd handles them 2 at a time comfortably on the loader.

/ Anyone move round bales with a L3800? #5  
You shouldn't have a problem as long as you have proper counter-balance hanging off your 3PH, keep the load low & slow. A 2 spear minimum on your FEL will keep the round secure.

My 4105 has just a few more horses under the bonnet and haying season starts in about a week (rounds, silage is going on now)... I'll be out helping with my rig, gathering and then loading the flatbed. No problems at all.

/ Anyone move round bales with a L3800? #6  
My neighbor has an L2550 with a 3 point bail spear. Has no problem moving them around.

/ Anyone move round bales with a L3800? #7  
We have a L3200 (slightly smaller) I havent seen the loader specs, but it looks like it could handle it, i would have plenty of counterweight though.

/ Anyone move round bales with a L3800? #8  
Here's the loader specs. I have an L3200 and I think I'd be pretty close once you get that far out and depending on the weight of the bail. It'd be a pain to grab a wet one and have no way to move it
ForumRunner_20151129_233858.png

/ Anyone move round bales with a L3800? #9  
Depends on the size of the bales and desired lift height, it should work on the loader. It will definitely work on the 3 point hitch. Here is 1,000 pounds of concrete on a L3800. image-3330120186.jpg

/ Anyone move round bales with a L3800? #10  
Here's the loader specs. I have an L3200 and I think I'd be pretty close once you get that far out and depending on the weight of the bail. It'd be a pain to grab a wet one and have no way to move it
View attachment 448909
So i suppose it could, just be on the limit.