Anyone like really old toys?

/ Anyone like really old toys? #1  

Fuddyduddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
john deere
Growing up my grandparents next door had two children, my Mother (96, still lives at home) and her brother who had Downs Syndrome. My uncle lived with his parents and they all passed in the 1980s...he was 56.
He was always child-like and collected toys, it was like having another brother growing up. He took care of them and had a closet full, mostly from 1930s until we got older in the 1960s he thought he was too old for toys.
When he passed my Mother thought I should have them as well as an old display case so my wife, Mother and I put them in boxes, wrapped in newspaper where I stored them until yesterday. I had plenty of room in a tack room and I put up a 6ft shelf.
These are about half, the rest are 30s Lionel steam trains, robots and other toys. I thought someone may enjoy looking at them as I do. They all work. We had Packard cars and the Packard convertible is a four speed, gears shift, reverse, steers. It has a working floor jack. Cap pistols work, three cannons shoot wooden "bombs", police cars sireens work. Tractor, boats, planes, steam engine works.
It's really an amazing collection.
20230214_175811.jpg
20230214_175611.jpg
20230214_175639.jpg
20230214_175624.jpg
20230214_175631.jpg
20230214_175721.jpg
20230214_175651.jpg
20230214_175701.jpg

/ Anyone like really old toys? #3  
Growing up my grandparents next door had two children, my Mother (96, still lives at home) and her brother who had Downs Syndrome. My uncle lived with his parents and they all passed in the 1980s...he was 56.
He was always child-like and collected toys, it was like having another brother growing up. He took care of them and had a closet full, mostly from 1930s until we got older in the 1960s he thought he was too old for toys.
When he passed my Mother thought I should have them as well as an old display case so my wife, Mother and I put them in boxes, wrapped in newspaper where I stored them until yesterday. I had plenty of room in a tack room and I put up a 6ft shelf.
These are about half, the rest are 30s Lionel steam trains, robots and other toys. I thought someone may enjoy looking at them as I do. They all work. We had Packard cars and the Packard convertible is a four speed, gears shift, reverse, steers. It has a working floor jack. Cap pistols work, three cannons shoot wooden "bombs", police cars sireens work. Tractor, boats, planes, steam engine works.
It's really an amazing collection.
Amazing is right. They have quite a history. Not saying you should look, but the money value on some of those pieces is pretty high.

Awesome collection.

/ Anyone like really old toys? #4  
Oh wow, what an awesome collection; your uncle really must have treasured his toys, he took amazing care of them!

I must say I especially love the PT boat!

Thank you for sharing your uncles toys, and the memories attached to them.

/ Anyone like really old toys? #5  
What a pristine collection. I'm sure you are already aware of how valuable many of these are, aside of course from the true value relating to their history. Your Uncle's eyes would light up with joy to see how you have brought them back out into the light to be enjoyed by others. I am seeing a few in there that I had as a child. The truck with a green cab and red bed came with a big bag of jelly beans (at leasy mine did when I opened on Christmas Day). Amazing memories you've stirred up with these images, thanks!

/ Anyone like really old toys? #6  
What an inheritance Fuddy!!!!! Definitely need to be displayed. And they deserve the same quality of care as your Uncle gave them. Thank you very much for starting this thread!!!!

/ Anyone like really old toys? #8  
The more I look, the more I see, it's fun!

I just noticed the half-track and scout car; there is so much.