Anyone know who makes a Post Vise?

/ Anyone know who makes a Post Vise? #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I grew up in a cabin that had a workbench along one wall of the sitting area. One leg of that workbench was a heavy pine post that went deep into the ground, and that leg had an elm or oak wooden post vise built right onto it. Very strong, real handy, and you could hang your jacket on the handle....

Anyone know who makes such a thing today? Or maybe the parts to make one: the handle, pivot, and acme screw pieces?
rScotty

/ Anyone know who makes a Post Vise? #2  
Harbor Freight has 1.. dual purpose.
Flat jaws on 1 side & flips for a pipe vise..

/ Anyone know who makes a Post Vise? #3  
I grew up in a cabin that had a workbench along one wall of the sitting area. One leg of that workbench was a heavy pine post that went deep into the ground, and that leg had an elm or oak wooden post vise built right onto it. Very strong, real handy, and you could hang your jacket on the handle....

Anyone know who makes such a thing today? Or maybe the parts to make one: the handle, pivot, and acme screw pieces?
rScotty

I sold an antique post vise just before we moved. I was surprised to find so many listed on eBay and and for what I thought were low prices. Of course you are on the other side of the fence. But if I were looking, I’d look there before buying some Chinese garbage.

/ Anyone know who makes a Post Vise? #4  
When I relocated the log cabin to its current location and it became my primary work shed - I also looked for a post vice. Unable to locate one so I took a standard 8" Yost woodworking vice and put red oak jaws in it. It works - but its still not the same thing.

/ Anyone know who makes a Post Vise? #5  
Well, now I know what a Post Vice is. I'd not seen one before nor what it would've been called if I had.

Thanks TBN!

/ Anyone know who makes a Post Vise? #6  
I have 2 vices mounted on posts on old semi trailer rims that I have had for years.
I can roll them around to where I need them and are very stable.

/ Anyone know who makes a Post Vise?
Well, now I know what a Post Vice is. I'd not seen one before nor what it would've been called if I had.
Thanks TBN!

The Post Vise we had where I lived growing up was made of wood - I didn't know myself that there were metal ones until I googled them for this thread! Here's a photo of a wooden one (from the web).
rScotty

Attachments

• Woodenvise.jpg
    Woodenvise.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 188
   / Anyone know who makes a Post Vise? #9  
There are blacksmith's post vises also called leg vises Blacksmith Vises : Solid Box, Post or Leg Vise (Vice)
and woodworkers post vises in what seem like endless variations https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/humble-leg-vice.jpg
When I was around thirteen, I saw a plan for a wood workers vise and wanted one. I got hold of the screw and nut from an old scissor jack, pinned a tee pipe fitting to one end and ran a huge bolt probably 18" long through for a handle. The part at the bottom was adjustable with holes for a pin to go through, the rest, except for nails, was made of wood. It was a rough, crude version of the one pictured. That thing worked great! It's a shame all of my projects haven't worked out as well.

/ Anyone know who makes a Post Vise?
There are blacksmith's post vises also called leg vises Blacksmith Vises : Solid Box, Post or Leg Vise (Vice)
and woodworkers post vises in what seem like endless variations https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/humble-leg-vice.jpg
When I was around thirteen, I saw a plan for a wood workers vise and wanted one. I got hold of the screw and nut from an old scissor jack, pinned a tee pipe fitting to one end and ran a huge bolt probably 18" long through for a handle. The part at the bottom was adjustable with holes for a pin to go through, the rest, except for nails, was made of wood. It was a rough, crude version of the one pictured. That thing worked great! It's a shame all of my projects haven't worked out as well.

Yes! That's it! Locally it was called a Post Vise because it was mounted to a post. The workbench top was made of heavy planks and sat on posts sunk into the hard dirt floor.

The one pictured in the link (below) is beautiful. Ours was butt-ugly, but it did have a pivot pin that allowed some angular movement between the main vertical jaw and the adjustable bottom piece with the holes in it. That simple change made it much more versatile.
rScotty

Attachments

• humble-leg-vice.jpg
    humble-leg-vice.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 173